Sandra Lee And Stacking Cakes...

Decorating By hilly Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 10:35pm by Rylan

hilly Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 9

Has she never had a cake collapse?? Anytime I see her do a cake, she stacks tier upon tier without cake boards OR dowels. This morning (which was probably a rerun) she stacked what looked like probably 2 -10 inch layers plus 2 probably 8 inch layers plus a bundt cake on top of each other to make a volcano... The result, very cool... but what good is a cool cake if it crumbles to the floor?

8 replies
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

Has she never had a cake collapse?? Anytime I see her do a cake, she stacks tier upon tier without cake boards OR dowels. This morning (which was probably a rerun) she stacked what looked like probably 2 -10 inch layers plus 2 probably 8 inch layers plus a bundt cake on top of each other to make a volcano... The result, very cool... but what good is a cool cake if it crumbles to the floor?

I don't think any real cake maker would recommend that! She probably does it because it's going to get eaten instantly and it's not travelling anywhere.

But I don't like it because it's just misleading to the general public. icon_mad.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 9

I get a kick out of watching Sandra Lee, with her massive cleavage, funky recipes and all the 'cocktails' - she's is hilarious. I used to make fun of her until I watched the Chefography about her. She is much smarter then you think, she raised a bunch of her brothers and sisters (I think her parents passed while she was still young) and she worked her way up...... the hard way. Regardless of all her wonki-ness, I have respect for her.

That said, her cakes are almost always a hot mess. icon_lol.gif The Kwanzaa acorn madness is gut-buster, it's on YouTube. I saw that multi-tiered disaster waiting to happen and *cringed*. For a non-cake person, they might think that's how it's done..... Oy. It's a total FHV moment waiting to happen.... some of her other ideas are cute and creative and almost all her tablescapes are interesting.

Maybe not realistic, but interesting. I, for one, don't dress and decorate the kitchen to match each other, lol. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and I forgot to add that all the tablescapes and matching decorations are done individually for each episode and waaayy in advance and she is involved with picking every piece out.

costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 9

Did anyone see her "excellent" idea for Halloween cakes,where you use floral stem wire to make curly stems and stick them in little candy pumpkins? No choking hazard here...

cylstrial Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 9

I like Sandra Lee. She's a fantastic decorator! I just don't like the way she puts her cakes together. It sounds like I need to check out the youtube video.

Memie Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 9

I like to watch just to see the kitchen and tablescapes. My husband likes to watch for the sweaters and cleavage. icon_lol.gif

ailika Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 9

My favorite part of the show is her tablescapes icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memie

I like to watch just to see the kitchen and tablescapes. My husband likes to watch for the sweaters and cleavage. icon_lol.gif

lol, *ahem*, my husband is also a fan of her 'sweaterscapes'. icon_lol.gif

Rylan Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 9

I like Sandra Lee too. Her life story is very inspiring.

I think many people who are not familiar with cake decorating will stack a cake without dowels. I would have done that a year before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%