Who Cuts The Cake?

Decorating By jakenheather Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 6:22am by indydebi

jakenheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakenheather Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 4

I know this may sound silly... but really, who cuts the cake?

I had cupcakes for my wedding and the castle wedding cake last weekend I did was cut by the caterer. SO my question is who normally cuts the wedding cake. I am possibly doing another wedding cake in Dec. and would like to know.

Thank you CCers

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 4

That's usually determined by the bride. If there's a caterer, the caterer will cut the cake. Some cake decorator's will offer their cake cutting services for $20 an hour (or more). Sometimes, family members of the bride and groom will cut the cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

Brides choice....Aunt Suze icon_smile.gif

But make sure A. Suz knows what she is doing. I offer to have them come over for a 5 minute cake cutting lesson...people can make a disaster out of YOUR cake if they don't know what they are doing.

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:22am
post #4 of 4

When I'm doing a drop-off cake, I always ask "Who's cutting your cake, the caterer or a family member?" If it's a family member, I ask if they've ever cut a wedding cake and direct them to my "how to cut a weddign cake" page on my website.

If they say the caterer, I ask "Does the caterer know that?" because some people ASSUME the caterer will cut it and many times the caterer does not. I know one caterer who will not cut a wedding cake at all because he doesn't know how. (I offered to share, but I think he just doesn't want to mess with it.) A caterer may also need to charge a cake service fee to cut the cake. No service fee payment ... no cake cutting.

If I have multiple caterings on the same day, I send a crew to a buffet-only job while I take the buffet-and-cake job. If the buffet-only expects the caterer to cut the cake, but they didn't TELL the caterer this, then THIS caterer may not have sent a staffer to their job with any cake cutting knowledge!

Brides: Don't assume .... ask!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%