Help With A 3 Layer 3 Tier Cake

Decorating By love2frost Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 1:34am by love2frost

love2frost Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 3

I've done a number of 2 layer 3 tier cakes in the past. After 2 layers I use dowels then place the next 2 layer tier (with cardboard under the tier) on top of that then repeat for the top tier. My question is, if I'm going to do a 3 layer tier how do I do the support? Do I do it the same way and just add a 3rd layer before I insert the dowels and before placing the next tier on? Or do I need to add additional support? Can I still use cardboard or do I need to get something more sturdy? Thanks in advance for any help!!

2 replies
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogheaven3

I've done a number of 2 layer 3 tier cakes in the past. After 2 layers I use dowels then place the next 2 layer tier (with cardboard under the tier) on top of that then repeat for the top tier. My question is, if I'm going to do a 3 layer tier how do I do the support? Do I do it the same way and just add a 3rd layer before I insert the dowels and before placing the next tier on? Or do I need to add additional support? Can I still use cardboard or do I need to get something more sturdy? Thanks in advance for any help!!

That will be fine. Normally I bake two layers and torte them to four, but for some heavier cakes like carrot or pumpkin, I bake three layers of cake. Cardboard should be fine....I use foamcore, but that is just a matter of personal preference.

love2frost Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%