Petit Fours Pricing

Business By brgrassmyer Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm by surgery2

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 19

I am having more and more interest in single serving items like petit fours. What is your going rate and do you charge by the dozen? And do you have a minimum order?
TIA

18 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 19

A single petit four costs $68499371612940. Would you like to order a dozen?

Seriously, once you make them you'll understand why they generally cost about $4 EACH.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 19

Yes... charge TONS... petit fours are a BITCH to make. Tedious... amongst other more "colorful" words... icon_lol.gif

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:29am
post #4 of 19

OMG, I did 3 dozen yesterday for today, and it took me FOREVER... about 12 hours in total with help from my husband. I knew it would be a long process, but not this bad! I charged $2 each, next time (if there is a next time) it will be at least $3.

I rent a kitchen from a donut shop, and the owner told me I should have used her donut glazing equipment. If I make them again, this is definitely what I will do.

Good Luck!!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:01am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

A single petit four costs $68499371612940. Would you like to order a dozen?

Seriously, once you make them you'll understand why they generally cost about $4 EACH.

OMG.. I am channeling leah..I was going to say exactly the same thing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 19

definitely a PITA charge item! It only takes you ONE time making them to figure out why.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 19

Donut glazer...hmmmm.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 3:58am
post #8 of 19

So, glad I read this post....defintiely WAS something I was considering doing for a friend...lol

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:15am
post #9 of 19

After you are done making them, you won't want to be her friend anymore! icon_wink.gif (just kidding - they are a PAIN to make though!)

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 11 Mar 2010 , 4:41am
post #10 of 19

I have to agree with Leah. PITA. We made them in my pastry and confections class last semester, they take for freaking ever. Make it worth your time and they take a lot of time.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:46am
post #11 of 19

I charge per piece with a minimum order of 24. The best way I have found is to freeze the cake completely hard, then cut into squares or other shapes. Only work with about half of them at a time, because the thaw quickly. I place my largest cooling grid over my my large sheet pan and line it with wax paper. Place the cakes on the grid with spaces between, and now for my SECRET.......CANNED white or chocolate frosting. Melt it in the microwave until runny and pour over the cakes. You can use the drip through to coat the next batch. Then recoat once the original coat has dried to the touch. I always get perfect petite fours by doing this, but i is still so time consuming. It is just as easy to make 12 as to make 36, set a minimum.

dguerrant Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:47am
post #12 of 19

I charge per piece with a minimum order of 24. The best way I have found is to freeze the cake completely hard, then cut into squares or other shapes. Only work with about half of them at a time, because the thaw quickly. I place my largest cooling grid over my my large sheet pan and line it with wax paper. Place the cakes on the grid with spaces between, and now for my SECRET.......CANNED white or chocolate frosting. Melt it in the microwave until runny and pour over the cakes. You can use the drip through to coat the next batch. Then recoat once the original coat has dried to the touch. I always get perfect petite fours by doing this, but i is still so time consuming. It is just as easy to make 12 as to make 36, set a minimum.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 19

Question...does the canned icing dry to a snap? (is it sticky at all when dry?)

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 19

I hate them too! Made them once and will never make them again! They are a "witch" to work with if you want them to look really nice and be covered on the sides completely. My "competition" makes them and they look like crap because she doesn't take the time to coat the sides like I think they should be! Love the taste though icon_smile.gif

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #15 of 19

lol - they are our hot seller - I believe there is a RBA youtube video of Mark Atwood giving away all the secrets though ...

And by the way, we charge $1.35 a piece or 14.85 a dozen

Tobias

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #16 of 19

Tobias didn't mention that our petit fours 1 1/2" by 1 1/2 inches. Our shaped petit fours run $3.90 each.
LL

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #17 of 19

Here is that Mark Atwood video from youtube...

lots of great info!

dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Question...does the canned icing dry to a snap? (is it sticky at all when dry?)

after they sit for a while, they are dry to the touch, i always do mine a day ahead, then decorate with mini flowers, etc... the day of

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 19

I bought a pancake batter type blonker to do the icing on them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%