Non-Toxic Chalk, Can It Be Used?

Decorating By CakesHeaven Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 8:48pm by CakesHeaven

CakesHeaven Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 43

I am just learning how to make gumpaste flowers and was told that you can use non-toxic chalk to color them, is that really safe? icon_confused.gif I want to make sure before I go buy some and use it, don't want to make anyone sick. What happens if someone does eat it or do you tell your customer that they are non-edible and trust that they listen? Thank you in advance for you help.

42 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 43

Personally, once a wire goes into a piece of gumpaste, that piece of gumpaste is no longer edible. I use the nontoxic chalks...you can buy a box of 48 colors at Hobby Lobby for $5. Just steam the flowers to set the chalk once it's on.

I use crayola markers on non edible pieces too.

redheadfairy2003 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 43

I saw someone a video with someone doing gum paste flowers and with non-toxic chalk . I bought some to try.It won't hurt you if you did eat it but I think Kit Kat Cakes is correct by saying who would want to eat them with a wire in it. I think that it would be a great money saver to use also . I can't wait to try.

kellertur Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 43

Is there a trick to this? I used some (sidewalk) chalk dust and it wouldn't show up on the flower, very weak color. What step am I missing?

Thank you.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

Is there a trick to this? I used some (sidewalk) chalk dust and it wouldn't show up on the flower, very weak color. What step am I missing?

Thank you.

You need to use artists chalk. It has a lot more pigment in it than sidewalk chalk.

tatorchip Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 43
Quote:

Thank you.

I was wondering the same thing

icer101 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 43

scott woolley is using them on his dvd's. you get the pastel chalks. grind them up fine as you can.. put them in little plastic cups with lids. and use them just like you do the dusting powders. sometimes i teach the gumpaste flowers and that is what i use in the class.. not my dusting powders.. works great...

tatorchip Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

scott woolley is using them on his dvd's. you get the pastel chalks. grind them up fine as you can.. put them in little plastic cups with lids. and use them just like you do the dusting powders. sometimes i teach the gumpaste flowers and that is what i use in the class.. not my dusting powders.. works great...

Thank you

CakesHeaven Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 43

thank you, I'm going to Michaels ....woohoo.
The dusting powders are hard to get in my area, only found about a dozen colors and they are costly - $9/jar. Thank you Texas Rose for the tip on steaming them, does that help seal the color onto the gumpaste? I will give it a try.

kellertur Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 43

Thank you. icon_redface.gif Luckily I have plenty of artists pastel chalk lying around... I never would have thought to use it for sugar arts.

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatCakes

The dusting powders are hard to get in my area, only found about a dozen colors and they are costly - $9/jar. Thank you Texas Rose for the tip on steaming them, does that help seal the color onto the gumpaste? I will give it a try.

Yes, it will keep the color from coming off on other things.

While you're at michaels, if you look where they've got model car kits and stuff like that, they've got little plastic cups with snap on lids...I think they're called Buddy Cups. Anyhow, they're a good size to store grated chalk. You can grate the chalk by rubbing it against a metal strainer.

3GCakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #12 of 43

I can't wait to try this. I'm cheap, and this is right up my alley.

Win Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:12am
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:

Thank you.

I was wondering the same thing

Yes, artist chalks --and steam the flower to set the color when you are finished. It will make a beautiful finish.

tatorchip Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 12:24am
post #14 of 43

Thank you Win

cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #15 of 43

I use chalk and nontoxic markers all of the time.. I will try to steam next time though...thanks for the tip

kellertur Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #16 of 43

So I'm clear, what do you use to steam? All that comes to mind is an iron or tea kettle, and that's probably not what you mean...

Cakepro Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:16am
post #17 of 43

A kettle works perfectly!

You can also use a garment steamer.

Another trick is to securely place foil over a pot of water. Poke a couple of holes in the foil and bring the water to a boil. You'll have little geysers of steam.

Just be careful! Don't touch your freshly steamed flowers/foliage until they are completely dry.

tonedna Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #18 of 43

I use the non toxic chalks too..they work well.
Edna icon_smile.gif

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #19 of 43

I've steamed gumpaste flowers over boiling water for quite some time. I finally purchased a clothing steamer but really prefer the kitchen stove method. When you're steaming, make sure you don't over steam the flower or it will melt your gumpaste. You only need to hold it over the steam untill you see the color start to glisten a little. Tip: Go very light on the steaming when you're first learning. If you don't steam it enough you can always do it over but if the flower starts to melt, you're pretty much stuck with what you get!

sweetreasures Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 2:59am
post #20 of 43

I've used chalks for practice. I grate them in a tea strainer.

I have used lemon flavoring to apply the color and that made the chalks brighter. They were very pale without the flavoring. Does steaming work the same way to make the colors brighter, and does it also work in lieu of vodka?

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 3:15am
post #21 of 43

Steaming not only brightens the color but it also sets it so it doesn't wipe off. Whenyou stem it the color melts into the gumpaste. You don't need any type of alcohol or other liquid to put the color on; just dust it on with a dry paint brush and then steam it. I'm totally sold on steaming. Also, just a tip, make sure you use multiple colors on your flowers. Layer the colors, lightest first. It makes the flowers look so much more realistic. Once they're steamed they have highs and lows and the light captures these differences so nicely.

Parable Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:

While you're at michaels, if you look where they've got model car kits and stuff like that, they've got little plastic cups with snap on lids...I think they're called Buddy Cups. Anyhow, they're a good size to store grated chalk. You can grate the chalk by rubbing it against a metal strainer.

I have all 48 colors finely grated in stackable bead cups that screw together. I think there are about 8 cups in each stack. Check the bead department of your local arts and crafts store, like Michaels. Each stack was about $2.50.

CakesHeaven Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #23 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Quote:

Quote:

I have all 48 colors finely grated in stackable bead cups that screw together. I think there are about 8 cups in each stack. Check the bead department of your local arts and crafts store, like Michaels. Each stack was about $2.50.

Thank you everyone for your help, I picked up two sets of different colors of chulk and can't wait to try this out. Has anyone used the metalic color chulk? I was wondering how they would work, they say they're non-toxic too. Give some sparkle on the poinsettas and leaves like they where sprayed with the glitter the florist uses.
Ooh..I saw the bead cups when I was there, didn't know how the tops where on them...think I'm making another trip to the craft store icon_smile.gif

redheadfairy2003 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #24 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you everyone for your help, I picked up two sets of different colors of chulk and can't wait to try this out. Has anyone used the metalic color chulk? I was wondering how they would work, they say they're non-toxic too. Give some sparkle on the poinsettas and leaves like they where sprayed with the glitter the florist uses.
Ooh..I saw the bead cups when I was there, didn't know how the tops where on them...think I'm making another trip to the craft store icon_smile.gif

Metalic chalk ? I didn't know they made it ....... Where would I find it ?

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadfairy2003

Metalic chalk ? I didn't know they made it ....... Where would I find it ?

Me either...my poor kids, looks like they're going to Michaels with me before the grocery store icon_biggrin.gif

CakesHeaven Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #26 of 43

I found it in the scrapbooking area, it was a pallette of 12 colors. They looked really cool, already had the sparkle in it. Let me know if you try it before next weekend, that is my next trip into Michaels if I can last that long...lol

Win Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #27 of 43
Quote:

I found it in the scrapbooking area, it was a pallette of 12 colors. They looked really cool, already had the sparkle in it. Let me know if you try it before next weekend, that is my next trip into Michaels if I can last that long...lol

Yes to metalized. Yes to scrapbooking section in both Michaels and Hobby Lobby. I have the same. They work just the same as pearl dust. Lovely. I bought my sets with 50% coupons.

Win Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettinashoe

Steaming not only brightens the color but it also sets it so it doesn't wipe off. Whenyou stem it the color melts into the gumpaste. You don't need any type of alcohol or other liquid to put the color on; just dust it on with a dry paint brush and then steam it. I'm totally sold on steaming. Also, just a tip, make sure you use multiple colors on your flowers. Layer the colors, lightest first. It makes the flowers look so much more realistic. Once they're steamed they have highs and lows and the light captures these differences so nicely.

All your tips are dead-on, wonderfully worded and quite explanatory. Well done!

thumbs_up.gif

tatorchip Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #29 of 43

can you use the chulk on melted and formed jolly ranchers, mine are sticky and wondered if this would work TIA

kellertur Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:38am
post #30 of 43

This will hopefully be my last question:

How are you holding the flowers when steaming them? I'm guessing they are completely dry? Are you hand holding them by the bottom?

thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%