Newbie Stacked Cake Questions

Decorating By scociny Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm by FromScratch

scociny Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 3

I have been asked to do a cake for an induction ceremony at my husbands work. I am a newbie to cake decorating and I have only made single layer sheet cakes. I want to do a 12x18x2 cake and will be putting an 8.5" round cake on top. I will be using a crusting buttercream to cover it.

I want to do both layers in chocolate but need a good recipe, would the hersheys chocolate cake hold the round cake on top?

Can I use straws for support under the round cake?

Do I put a cake board under the round cake? If I do put a board under the cake, do you take the round cake off of the rectangle one to cut it?

Sorry for all of the questions, I have never done a stacked cake before! Thanks in advance to all of you who respond.

2 replies
dstbni Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 3

If you use straws to support the top layer, you should use a cake board. The Hershey's cake recipe is pretty dense, so it should be enough to be suppportive. If it's just a single round on a single layer sheet cake, that's like a regular layer cake, so with the recipe you're considering you shouldn't really need the supports. For ease of serving, however, you might want to put a cake board (fully wrapped) under the top layer to they can separate the layers before they cut. Hope that helps.

FromScratch Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 3

You can use straws, but they have to be wide straws. If you don't have access to bubble tea straws, the ones from McDonalds (as odd as that sounds) will work in a pinch. You will have to put a cake board under the 8" cake, unless it's just a single layer. If it is just a single 8" layer then you could get away with no board, but icing it will be easier if it's not on the sheet cake... it will look MUCH neater. You can either leave it on to serve or take it off. Just slice into it until you hit the cake board and serve... when the 8" is gone, remove the cake board and serve the sheet cake.

I've never used the Hersheys recipe so I can't comment about it. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%