How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 8:47pm
post #1261 of 1361

The price range I have usually seen here is $8-$16/doz. Online they were $24 a doz, last I looked. I have found it is important to figure in the packaging costs as that is about the most expense!! I have sold some at $12/doz-packaged in a candy box with a bow.

If the cake balls are too mushy....cut back on the liquid/binder and try them again!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1262 of 1361

I am going to bake a cake mix just for cake balls. I am thinking about cutting back on the liquid to make a drier cake to start with...seems like getting the cake to dry takes a long time. I tried a low oven-but then it got too done, too quick! Has anyone done this??

kareninflorida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kareninflorida Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 7:11pm
post #1263 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal50881

My cake balls were soggy in the middle. Not like cake at all. I thought the texture was gross. Did anyone else have this problem?

Yes; it's what put me off of cake balls for the longest time. I think it comes from using too much frosting. Also, I don't think that using cake from a boxed mix helps the texture, since box mixes are designed to produce a cake with a really soft, tender crumb. IMO, that equates to a really soft, mushy cake ball. Cake from scratch usually has a coarser, sturdier texture, which I believe makes for a better cake ball. I know I've had much better success using homemade cake and homemade frosting, although these days, I prefer to use anything other than frosting to moisten & hold the balls together: milk, heavy cream, whipped cream, liqueur, ricotta cheese, coffee, chocolate syrup - anything that will add moisture without adding too much extra sweetness &/or fat. I can't stand the overly-sweet, greasy taste of cake balls that are made with an entire can of store-bought frosting. Yuk! When I do use homemade butter cream frosting, I barely use one cup to moisten an entire batch of cake crumbs - just enough to hold it all together. More than that, and I think you end up with a consistency that seems to me to be very much like regurgitated cake. As you said, GROSS! icon_sad.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1264 of 1361

I don't have the problem with mine being soggy, but I also do scratch baking. I use my regular recipe but cook it to done. Once I crumb it I let it sit in the bowl for an hour or so then add my binder. I also do not use frosting. What I use depends on the flavors. But I try to add moisture, flavor, and sweetness as seperate components whenever possible.

ie. for my red velvet ones, I add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and if necessary-cream (it has only been necessary once). For one batch of bites, I get about 125 bites out of one 11x13 cake, I use 6 to 8 ounces of cream cheese and maybe a cup of powdered sugar, it is all eyeballed.

kareninflorida Posted 2 Dec 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1265 of 1361

That's a good point - to let the crumbs sit for a while before adding the binder. Not that you want stale crumbs, but I think the drier they are, the better the cake ball will turn out to be.

My most recent creation is the ice cream & cake ball (maybe somebody already invented them, but I haven't seen them anywhere yet.) I freeze melon ball-sized scoops of ice cream, then surround them with cake ball mixture, freeze that, and then dip into the chocolate/candy coating.

For Thanksgivine, I made a pumpkin cake pop of pumpkin ice cream covered in spice cake (mixed with pureed pumpkin as a binder) and dipped in orange-colored candy melts. The green "stem" on top was made with royal icing. I tried to post a pic, but it wouldn't let me. icon_sad.gif

deMuralist Posted 3 Dec 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1266 of 1361

sounds wonderful and very labor intensive! That may be a great way to get the peanut butter taste the family is looking for though, I home make PB ice cream, so I may have to try it.

I also usually end up baking until there is a slight crust at the edges, which I cut off and let the kids have, so the cake is on the dry side to start with.

I have seen cakers who just use their moist cake and add no binder, but from my perspective that misses a major flavor opportunity.

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1267 of 1361

The ice cream idea sounds interesting. Do they have to stay frozen though? How would you transport those without them melting into a mess?

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1268 of 1361

In reference to cost, I've gotten as much as $18 for 6 pops. These are usually ones that are intricately decorated. My average is $12 for 6. I give a discounted price to police, firefighters and teachers of $10 for 6.

kareninflorida Posted 10 Dec 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1269 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPACakeGirl

The ice cream idea sounds interesting. Do they have to stay frozen though? How would you transport those without them melting into a mess?

I've only served them to family & friends at this point, and I transported them in egg cartons that were put in a cooler with ice packs. Once I arrived at my destination (30-40 minutes later), I put them immediately into the freezer to firm up again, and took them out of the freezer about 5-10 minutes prior to serving. They can also stay in the fridge safely for about 20-30 minutes. Also, I think as long as the ice cream is completely surrounded with cake and chocolate/candy melt coating, there shouldn't be a problem with the ice cream leaking out.

Additionally, I dip the lollipop sticks in the melted chocolate before sticking them into the ball, not only so the warm chocolate will help the stick to penetrate the chilled cake ball, but also because that extra chocolate helps to keep the pop sealed so the ice cream won't escape. Even so, the ice cream will seep out if they're left for too long at room temperature, especially here in hot, sunny Florida. icon_cool.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kareninflorida/5186682781/

P.S. - since I can't attach any pictures for some reason, here is the link to a photo of half of the cake pop so you can see what it looks like on the inside. It was frozen solid when I took the picture, so the cake doesn't look particularly appetizing at that point. But based on the feedback I got, they apparently tasted good to everyone who tried them. (I found them way too sweet.) My 30 year old cousin now wants them for her birthday instead of traditional cake! icon_biggrin.gif

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 13 Dec 2010 , 8:48am
post #1270 of 1361

Hey! I was soooo excited to see this thread! I've just started a business specializing in cake pops and it has become an obsession that has infected even my hubby! icon_smile.gif

danni73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danni73 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:32pm
post #1271 of 1361

Where do I look to find printable recipes for the Cake Pops and Cupcake Pops?????

BellaRoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRoca Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #1272 of 1361

can anyone tell me HOW LONG you can freeze the undipped cake/frosting combo and/or plain cake?
thanks!

Kristie925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristie925 Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:16am
post #1273 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRoca

can anyone tell me HOW LONG you can freeze the undipped cake/frosting combo and/or plain cake?
thanks!

Since it's just cake and frosting, I'd imagine you can freeze for several weeks.

BellaRoca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRoca Posted 3 Feb 2011 , 5:25am
post #1274 of 1361

awesome thanks! i wasnt sure how long. I know my sister in law froze their wedding cake for a year so i figured you could do this pretty long.
i have to make some for an event in 2 weeks but im going out of town in a couple days and wont be back until the day before the event so i wont have time to do it then.... thanks for your quick response! icon_biggrin.gif

deMuralist Posted 5 Feb 2011 , 1:21pm
post #1275 of 1361

I have kept mine frozen for at least 6 weeks before with no loss of flavor or any other types of problems.

regarding the printable recipes...it is really just cake with binder. Use your cake recipes and start by using your icing recipes (i would not use an enitre recipe of icing for one recipe of cake though) and experiment with the flavors you like, and getting the texture you like.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #1276 of 1361

I have not had time to read the 80 pages of messages in this thread. Forgive me if this has already been posted. I went to the Google doc
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWyT_ZcILkBTZGRkNHF6cjNfNWduNzY5YmNm&hl=en&pli=1
And it doesn't make sense--it sounds like it has been translated very badly from some other language into English. I can't figure out how to contact the author (and it wouldn't do me any good if they don't speak English). Has anyone been able to contact the author? Is there a corrected version somewhere? This is extremely frustratin.
Thanks for any help.
Shanter

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:47pm
post #1277 of 1361

What happened was some one chaged the language and then changed it back, there is no way of fixing it except to redo the WHOLe thing. The author took combinations from this thread.

ost of the ones written are in the first 5 pages I think. Try reading through there

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 6:24am
post #1278 of 1361

Wow, such a great site. Thanks to all of you for sharing!!

lsz1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsz1978 Posted 24 Apr 2011 , 7:48pm
post #1279 of 1361

i was so happy to find this thread!!! you guys have awesome flavor suggestions! i have been asked to make them for two event in the middle of may... i have never made them before and am curious if you can freeze them with fondant flowers and bow ties on them or should i wait to put the flowers and bow ties on? also, is there an good way to get a smooth coating of choc, instead of it being bumpy??? thanks!!!

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 1:54am
post #1280 of 1361

Great thread! i made some this weekend with chocoalte ganache and they were quite tasty, dipped in milk chocolate. The problem I am having is in the coating. I want a crisp coating on the ball so that when you bite into it there is that little bit of crunch, sort of like biting into a soft centered chocolate. Is this possible with cake balls? Any ideas or suggestions to achieve this?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Apr 2011 , 5:59am
post #1281 of 1361

Yes, tripletmom, if you want the chocolate crunchy, add 1-2 tablespoons of shortening to your melted chocolate. That's worked for me. I'm sorry to say I have no hard and fast rules - I just figured it out by trial and error, but I think I usually add 2 tablespoons to a pound of chocolate for the coating.

JessicakesBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicakesBakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 10:12pm
post #1282 of 1361

I'm sorry - it's probably already in here somewhere....but it's a long topic!
Why do some say not to feeze cakeballs? I have frozen them in the past with no noticiable problems. What problems have others of you experienced by freezing them for too long?

Marianna46 Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:17am
post #1283 of 1361

The biggest problem is the chocolate coating cracking (say that three times real fast!). I generally let mine thaw about 20 minutes or so before dipping them - that seems to help a lot, although it doesn't totally clear up the problem. Some people don't freeze at all, but in the hot climate I live in, if they´re not REALLY cold, the chocolate won't set up.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 14 May 2011 , 4:05am
post #1284 of 1361

Whew! I just spent the last couple of hours making test batches of different flavors. Using a cinnamon apple cake, I mixed with caramel sundae topping for a caramel apple ball. I also cut up mini marshmallows, and mixed them in with chocolate cake and marshmallow creme as the binder. I rolled those in ground graham crackers. I mixed some International Delights mocha mix in with chocolate cake and used chocolate ganache as the binder. Last but not least, I tried doing the cinnamon roll mix that was posted by someone a few pages back (thanks for that one, it sounded so yummy), but I think I put too much butter in it. I'm too tired to keep going with other tests, but I have plans for tomorrow to do a white chocolate cranberry ball and a p.butter chocolate ball. I also am thinking about doing a pistachio ball, using some dry pudding mix in with the crumbs before adding the binder. Has anybody else tried something like this? I figure it might get more flavor into the ball without adding too much binding agent and getting mush.

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 14 May 2011 , 8:25am
post #1285 of 1361

Q1 - I'm sure i 'may' have read it in here somewhere.. but has anyone tried to make cake balls /cake pops with a carrot cake ?

What would your suggestions be, my carrot cake recipe I use for cupcakes) is amazingly moist would that affect the chocolate coating? and i would probably add zesty lemon cream cheese frosting.

Q2.
How long would you keep a cake ball/pop out that had been mixed with cream cheese?

Thanks in advance icon_wink.gif

Marianna46 Posted 15 May 2011 , 2:43am
post #1286 of 1361

In answer to your first question, SUNSHINEMOLLY, I've made cake balls with carrot cake, but not pops. The recipe I used was the citrus carrot cake that I think I got from the recipe section here. Great stuff. The truffles were delish, but I only bound them with buttercream and covered them with white chocolate. I'm like you - I never know how long cream cheese will last outside the fridge, but I certainly would use it as a binder the next time, even if I had to refrigerate them.

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:55am
post #1287 of 1361

After tasting all the flavors of balls I made this weekend, general consensus was that the pistachio cake balls dipped in white chocolate were the best. Even my husband, who was eagerly waiting for the chocolate peanut butter ones put the pistachio at the top of the list! I absolutely love using the dry pudding mix to put the flavor into the crumbs before adding binder.

For next weeks farmers market, I'll be making just 3 flavors to sell, the pistachio, turtle, and chocolate mocha. Those were the ones at the top of everyone's favorites list, and each week following, I'll switch out flavors. I'm thinking I'll sell them for $1.50 each, because as one of my testers said, I can always lower my price, but it's hard to raise them.

Marianna46 Posted 16 May 2011 , 5:57am
post #1288 of 1361

Oh, lord, pettmybunny, all the flavors you've suggested sound absolutely delicious! I've gotta give some of these a try!

Itsacakepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Itsacakepop Posted 16 May 2011 , 8:14am
post #1289 of 1361

Petmybunny, what do you put in your turtle cake pop? Sounds yummy!

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 16 May 2011 , 10:26am
post #1290 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettmybunny

After tasting all the flavors of balls I made this weekend, general consensus was that the pistachio cake balls dipped in white chocolate were the best. .

Where can i find the recipe for the pistachio ones, and is there a picture?

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%