How About A Serious Thread About Cake Balls?

Baking By motherofgrace Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 2:29am by MBalaska

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1231 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

With gloves on, I crumble cake by hand.

Ditto

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1232 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

ya mine doesnt have a number either

Hey ladies (and gents too icon_redface.gif ), this link has the most wonderful info on dishers (or scoops), I love it:

http://bowlofplenty.blogspot.com/2009/08/dishers-aka-ice-cream-scoops.html

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 12:16pm
post #1233 of 1361

How do you package your cakeballs? I will be doing them for gifts for the upcoming holidays..1.2 dozen...1 dozen?

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:41pm
post #1234 of 1361

Hey guys, I'm doing some for a school bake sale and need to package 4 to a pack. Anyone have ideas for how to do this? I'd prefer not to do them on a stick, I'm just planning on using the candy cups.

Thanks!

BORIKS03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BORIKS03 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 3:04pm
post #1235 of 1361

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1236 of 1361

Pumpkin Pie Cake Balls...........I just finished making these and they are DELICIOUS!!!!! You use a french vanilla cake mix, add 1 small can of pumpkin (15oz.), 1c. water, 1/3c. oil, 4 eggs and 1tsp. pumpkin pie spice. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350*. I added cream cheese frosting as the binder and dipped them in white chocolate. YUMMO!!! These would be great to have at a Thanksgiving Dinner!! I give them 2 thumbs up......

BTW I only used half of the container of frosting........the pumpkin made the cake really moist!

I made this recipe...really good flavor, but way to moist...they literally fell out of the cupcake liners as they were cooling for that 10 minutes...which would work great for cake truffles, but not for cupcakes to sell to a customer. Also, you had put on there to bake these 30-35 minutes...mine were done in 19 minutes like my normal cupcakes...came out clean when I tested them with the cake tester. I still want to play with this recipe, but any suggestions until then?

MamaKarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaKarrie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1237 of 1361

I made my first batch of cake balls yesterday but not so sure about them. They tasted good but the actual cake part had a weird texture and didn't taste anything like cake. I crumbled a 9 x 13 cake and used a tub of frosting. Is it maybe because I used to much frosting or is that just how they taste/texture?

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:10pm
post #1238 of 1361

I think way to much frosting. You want to use enough frosting to be able to form the bite. A little goes a long way!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:12pm
post #1239 of 1361

Recipe I have says 9 x 13 cake with 12 oz. of icing if you are using canned icing...hope that helps.

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 2:29pm
post #1240 of 1361

MamaKarrie, correct me if I misunderstood the question, but when I read "weird texture and doesn't taste like cake" that sounds to me issue with amount of frosting used. Not sure the size of "tub" you used. You aren't trying to ice a cake, just enough to bind the cake crumbs after crumbling. Some cakes are really moist and don't need any frosting. I like to add my flavor to the batter so I don't have very little icing or none at all. I just don't like the mushy texture/taste of some I've tried, but some do. Try cutting back on frosting and see how it turns out. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

MamaKarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaKarrie Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1241 of 1361

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm now sure I used way to much frosting. It was moist enough where I didn't even need to add frosting so I will try that next time. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 1 Nov 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1242 of 1361

How far in advance can these cake balls be made? I would lke to start them some time this week for the 20th of November. Can they be froozen and then taken out and left to thaw the night before?

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:14pm
post #1243 of 1361

I have kept tasty little cake balls frozen for weeks, waiting for me to sneak one out late at night icon_razz.gif

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 7:29pm
post #1244 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrelmiss

I have kept tasty little cake balls frozen for weeks, waiting for me to sneak one out late at night icon_razz.gif

icon_smile.gif sounds great. Just hope I don't have any problems with sweating in the bags once I take them out to thaw.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1245 of 1361

are u putting them in the freezer after u dip them in chocolate??

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 2 Nov 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1246 of 1361

I used a can of frosting once, then a 1/2 can.....both were just WAY too much. Now I never use more than 1 or 2 Tablespoons of binder (homemade buttercream now.) That's plenty for a cake baked as 9x13.
Freeze them BEFORE dipping....I've frozen them for months with no problem. Defrost on counter in the same bag frozen in for a short while then dip, fridge until ready to serve or on the counter....neither has been a problem.

Love the pumpkin pie idea....thanks for that, Pumpkin pie poster! icon_smile.gif

breyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breyes Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 2:04am
post #1247 of 1361

Hi all..I am very intrigued by these and I would love to try them. So basically you make a 9x13 inch cake (any recipe) and then break it up and mix in icing and any other goodies like nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Now I didn't read the entire thread (my time is limited with 3 little ones), but what kind of consistency should I be looking for??? I read that you don't use a tub of icing, but should the mixture just hold together or have a decent amount of binder? AFter it is mixed, you chill it and then scoop onto cookie sheet (1 TBSP or more?) and chill again before covering with chocolate? Thanks for answering my questions...I can't wait to try these!!!
I hope to read the entire thread to get some flavor ideas....and I too love the pumpkin pie idea!!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:26am
post #1248 of 1361

I want to try some of these combos... pg 29

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 1:56pm
post #1249 of 1361

Can't believe I just found this thread! Thanks.

Megs1025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megs1025 Posted 8 Nov 2010 , 6:38pm
post #1250 of 1361

So I just finished my first balls.

Chocolate cake with peanut butter and fudge frosting

Chocolate cake with fudge frosting, kaluah, and baileys

Yellow cake with cinnamon, brown sugar, and cream cheese frosting

Rolling the balls was fine, the texture seemed cookie-dough-ish. I froze them overnight.

I heated up my Merkins chocolate in the microwave (30sec at a time) and hell began. HOW THE **** DO YOU DIP THESE!?

I tried:
-Sticking the ball on a toothpick and dunking, tapping off excess chocolate, but when it came time to take the tooth pick out it was stuck in there and I ended up making a big mess.
-Dropping the ball in chocolate and using a plastic spoon to lift it out, tapping off excess chocolate.. and again.. when it came time to "roll off the spoon" the ball stuck to it and half the chocolate stripped off
-Taking out the ball with a plastic fork (centers taken out), tapping off, and again... it would not ROLL off, cake would spill out.

So I started rolling my balls in stuff (peanuts, sugar, sprinkles) to hide the imperfections.. but I really wanted to decorate them!

This is when I decided to put my balls on sticks. Much easier to dip.. however, I experienced cracking in about half the balls. Too frozen maybe? THEN after they sat about a half hour the cake was pooping out the bottom! hahaha.

So I decorated my balls and put the yucky side down in the cup. I think they came out looking good for my first time. I've got an order for these coming up, any pointers??? Thanks!

breyes Posted 11 Nov 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1251 of 1361

Megs1025 those look delicious!!! And your flavor combinations sound so yummy. Do you eyeball your ingredients, or do you have exact measurements??

So last night I finally tried making some. My children wanted cupcakes, so I made 9 cupcakes for them and then poured the rest of the batter (vanilla) into a 9x9 cake dish and baked it. After it was cooled, I threw it into my KA and mixed it up with the rest of the chocolate icing I had left after icing the cupcakes (about 1/3 of the container or so). I like texture, so I had about 3/4 cup of chocolate crunchies floating around that we had gotten last time we ordered an ice cream cake and I threw those in. Used a 1 Tbsp scooper to shape, froze them for a bit and then coated them in milk chocolate. The milk chocolate seemed kind of thick so I added a little shortening like it was suggested earlier and that made for a much smoother coating (and those didn't crack, which I know was an issue for some - the ones without the shortening cracked). WOW did they taste good!! My husband loved them and this morning in the words of my 3 year old son, "This is YUUUMMMMMYYY, you make this mommy?" Well the critics have spoken, guess they're good!! icon_smile.gif Now I have to try experimenting since my husband wants me to make a batch for Thanksgiving. I really want to try a cream cheese frosting combo since that is my favorite type of frosting!!

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 7:50pm
post #1252 of 1361

I am new to the whole Cake Ball thing. I tried it once with the whole can of frosting and they didn't turn out, but have been wanting to try it again. I was going to make some today and realized that I had given my food processor to my daughter. I know you can break the cake up by hand, but that would take forever if making a lot, so I need to invest in a new one. I was wondering what cup size processor I needed to use for the cake mix Cake Balls (7, 10, or 14?) My budget really won't allow for the more expensive ones, and since I'll probably only use it for cake balls, is one brand really that much better than another? I'm really wanting to try these again soon. Thanks for any help.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1253 of 1361

I'm going to have to make some, these sound so good!

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 9:07pm
post #1254 of 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpeazmom

I am new to the whole Cake Ball thing. I tried it once with the whole can of frosting and they didn't turn out, but have been wanting to try it again. I was going to make some today and realized that I had given my food processor to my daughter. I know you can break the cake up by hand, but that would take forever if making a lot, so I need to invest in a new one. I was wondering what cup size processor I needed to use for the cake mix Cake Balls (7, 10, or 14?) My budget really won't allow for the more expensive ones, and since I'll probably only use it for cake balls, is one brand really that much better than another? I'm really wanting to try these again soon. Thanks for any help.

I would save your money and just use your hands. I make tons of these and break it up all by hand. Just put it in a big bowl all at once and then when I form them I use a small ice cream scoop.

breyes Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 1:08am
post #1255 of 1361

Tried a new combination.....apple spice cake with brown sugar cream cheese frosting, toasted pecans, covered in white chocolate. These were good too. Like previous posts had said, the combinations are endless.

Sweetpeazmom, I mix everything in my Kitchen Aid, I am too lazy to get down my food processor and they turn out fine.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 14 Nov 2010 , 5:50am
post #1256 of 1361

i made 2 very large trays this past week i put very little nutella just to bind them then i melted the rest to coat them in and on some i pored some of the white chocolate on them and had a little wallnuts in the house so some hade nuts in them must say theycame out great and i had to put a few in th freezer for when my son gets here so i had to hide them

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 3:56am
post #1257 of 1361

Thanks SPCC and breyes. I think I'll skip the Food Processor and use my hands to break it up and the Kitchen Aid to mix it up. I like the idea of the cookie scoop, that way they are all the same size. Thanks again.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 17 Nov 2010 , 4:17am
post #1258 of 1361

I am also thinking of making some cake balls for the first time this weekend as I'll have leftover cake from one I'm carving. It got me thinking ahead to Thanksgiving & something we enjoy is traditional gingerbread, would that work as a cake pop? Covered in white chocolate candy coating?

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 1:18am
post #1259 of 1361

I was just wondering what folks charge for their cake balls????

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 18 Nov 2010 , 2:37am
post #1260 of 1361

My cake balls were soggy in the middle. Not like cake at all. I thought the texture was gross. Did anyone else have this problem?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%