Wilton Support Systems

Decorating By chouxchoux Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 8:31am by Texas_Rose

chouxchoux Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 6

what do you think of the wilton support systems?

5 replies
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

blargh.

SPS all the way!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:12am
post #3 of 6

Because I prefer not to deal with deposits and waiting for bits to be returned--and I want to keep costs down--yes, even lower than the cost of the SPS--I don't use a "system", but I do use the Wilton plastic dowels and hidden pillars.

I have no problems whatsoever with them. I use fewer plastic dowels or hidden pillars than the wooden ones and they aren't prone to shifting because a hollow cylinder is extremely stable and strong. They're cheap, easy to sanitize and easy to find--from Michaels to Wal-Mart.

Whatever works for you.
Rae

chouxchoux Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 6

so you use the plactic dowels and supports instead of the wood ones? and the cakes transport well?

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:54am
post #5 of 6

Yep.

I often use a sticky piece of fondant on top of the dowels to "stick" the board above to the dowel top.

Rae

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 8:31am
post #6 of 6

I use the hollow plastic dowels and foamcore. I use a single wooden dowel as a center dowel if I'm making a stacked cake that I'm not delivering. I use at least two thicknesses of foamcore for the bottom board, then the cake sits on its own board on top of that. When I put the center dowel in, I use a hammer to drive it all the way through the bottom board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%