Icing Fruits

Decorating By thin4life Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 6:45am by scp1127

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 13

I know there was a topic on this but when I did a search I couldn't find anything. I just bought the orange and strawbery icing fruits and need some ideas on how to use them.

12 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 13

I love, love, love icing fruit. I keep it on hand ALL the time. I take white cake batter and make strawberry cake, lemon cake, orange cake, etc., etc. Also how I make chocolate orange cake. In fact, I offer 30 flavors of cake, but mostly variations - with the help of flavorings, extracts and icing fruit - I really just need to start with white cake batter and chocolate cake batter.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 13

Ok, I'm in the dark. What is "Icing Fruit" and where do you get it? icon_confused.gif

thin4life Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:24am
post #4 of 13

How much of this stuff do you add to the cake batter? Also, does anyone use it in frostings?

sugalips , I got my icing fruit from CK Products.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 13

I add it mostly by eye and color. There are directions on the label. do NOT use them. Put in no more than half of what the directions say. Start with a fourth. I also mix in extracts/flavorings too.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:59am
post #6 of 13

What is icing fruit? I've never heard of it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:04am
post #7 of 13

Icing Fruit-Strawberry
Concentrated fruit with real fruit pulp to add flavor and fruit to icing, confections, or cakes. Ingredients: Strawberries, sugar, dextrose, citric acid, artificial flavor, pectin, algin, sodium benzoate (preservative) and red #40.

thin4life Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:11am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I add it mostly by eye and color. There are directions on the label. do NOT use them. Put in no more than half of what the directions say. Start with a fourth. I also mix in extracts/flavorings too.

What do you mean when you say 'do NOT use them'

I got mine from CK Products and there are no instructions on them.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:27am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

What do you mean when you say 'do NOT use them'

I got mine from CK Products and there are no instructions on them.

Icing fruit use directions:

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=271

HTH

RobynW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynW Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 5:44am
post #10 of 13

I love the CK Icing fruits & I've had a lot of success with them - both in icing and in the cake itself.

I normally add about a tablespoon to a cake mix & about the same to 4 cups of icing. It's really easy to go overboard, so start small & keep tasting the icing.

I did a Pineapple Supreme cake mix & added the pineapple icing fruits & made a coconut pineapple buttercream that was AMAZING.

I've never seen any instructions, either.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:37am
post #11 of 13

Recommended ratio is 1 oz. icing fruit to 2 lbs. icing or batter (you can adjust to suit your personal taste)

http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/icing_fruit.aspx

HTH

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:20am
post #12 of 13

For my strawberry cake I use 2 oz icing fruit to one recipe of my white cake.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 6:45am
post #13 of 13

What brand? Some have said it is good and others say it isn't. I suspect they are using different brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%