Argh! Can't Use My Usual Indydebi Frosting!

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm by jonahsmom

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 9

Dream Whip contains milk, and my nephew cannot have anything with milk in it. This includes butter. No chocolate either. All my favorite frosting recipes contain at least one of them.

Do you know of any good recipes that doesn't have butter, milk, or chocolate? TIA!

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 9

to me indydebis tastes fine without the dream whip - i used a bit more vanilla. and for most bcs, water and milk are interchangeable. so i guess that means shortening, water, ps - which is really just traditional shortening bc isnt it?
i know a lot of people dont like using margerine in their bc, but i dont mind it, and i think it is dairy free? maybe another option to try - i tend to use more vanilla then too.
xx

agentdorkfish Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 9

Hmm.. I'll have to read the label on the margarine. It has a nice buttery taste. I'll have to double-check with my sister, too. I don't want him breaking out! Thanks!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 9

There are vegan buttercreams that use vegan margarine.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 9

also instead of milk can you use the non-dairy creamer like sugar shacks recipe? That recipe has no butter and no milk.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 9

Here's one:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7564/gluten-free-casein-free-buttercream-icing-gfcf

Watch out for ingredients that contain milk products.

agentdorkfish Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 9

I read the ingredients on the coffee creamer I had. It says dairy-free but it also says it contains milk.

I've decided that I'm just going to do the plain ol' PS, Crisco, and vanilla. Thanks for your help, everyone!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

also instead of milk can you use the non-dairy creamer like sugar shacks recipe? That recipe has no butter and no milk.

Actually, the non-dairy label only means that the product doesn't contain lactose... Almost all non-dairy products contain caseine, caseinate, etc. which are milk proteins.

Non-dairy advertising can be very misleading:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653585-.html

HTH

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 9

What JanH said -

If it's just a lactose intolerance, dairy-free is fine. But for kids who can't have any form of milk whatsoever you really need to look over labels VERY well.

You're pretty much guaranteed that dairy-free isn't truly dairy-free. Most of the time it will have casein in it. Definitely misleading...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%