Christmas Holiday Gifts

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm by CeeTee

sugarcheryl Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 21

I was wondering were there anyone who are giving baked goods to family and friends and if so have any suggestion?

20 replies
CeeTee Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 21

I always do baked goods for my gifts. It varies per year though. Last year I did (what seemed like) a billion different kinds of cookies and packed them up into tins or gift bags. This year I'm planning on doing homemade candies. I've also done mini-cheesecakes, cookie ornaments, and cupcakes in the past.

About the only advice I can think of is:
If you are gonna ship goods, choose sturdy cookies that don't have soft icings, Fudge, biscotti, and homemade marshmallows ship well. Also try to have them out before the end of the second week of December so they get to where they are going on time. (I always have my card/boxes in the mail no later than the 8th)

If you are giving them to local folks, deliver them by the weekend before Christmas so they can have them for their celebration (if they choose to). I also like to plan my baking over days. I'll spend a day making nothing but batches of cookie dough and then freeze it for when I'm ready to bake it, which I do a day or two before I bag them up to deliver them. This way the cookies are fresher.

HTH

ziggytarheel Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

About the only advice I can think of is:
If you are gonna ship goods, choose sturdy cookies that don't have soft icings, Fudge, biscotti, and homemade marshmallows ship well.

HTH

I'm thinking about making homemade marshmallows but didn't know how long they keep?

Lita829 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 21

My practice is similar to CeeTee. I take a few days and clump them together. Then I bake, bake, bake, bake. I package the gifts in bags, bowls, platters, or tins (in the past). This year, I'm going to make all the cookie dough on day 1 and freeze, just like CeeTee was saying. I'd then bake and decorate over the following days.

Its funny you made this post...I was just sitting and making an action plan for my holiday baking. Hmmm.....great minds think alike icon_wink.gif

CeeTee Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

I'm thinking about making homemade marshmallows but didn't know how long they keep?

If you seal them up well in either a ziplock bag or a tupperware container they can keep for at least two months. They might last longer, I've just not been able to keep them around long once I make them icon_lol.gif I use Alton Brown's recipe and they are super yummy! For the holidays I roll mine in red and green sanding sugar or top them with sprinkles as they set.

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 21

Cakeballs,homemade toffee,cookies,Fudge

KHalstead Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 21

cake balls (because everyone said, "your giving us those little cake thingies right?") so I kinda have to! lol
fudge, peanut butter tarts (w/ the litte reeses cup in it)
pecan paws (pretzels with caramel chocolate and pecan on top)
spritz cookies
decorated sugar cookies
maybe some mini pumpkin pies or pumpkin cheesecakes (like tart size/mini muffin pan)

cagirlygirl Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 21

I make pans of homemade cinnamon rolls for everyone, with maple-coffee frosting. I love doing them because there's no detail work involved (it's a nice change!), I can turn out a bunch in a relatively short amount of time, and they make the whole house smell heavenly for days. Man, I LOVE Christmas! icon_biggrin.gif

ziggytarheel Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

If you seal them up well in either a ziplock bag or a tupperware container they can keep for at least two months. They might last longer, I've just not been able to keep them around long once I make them icon_lol.gif I use Alton Brown's recipe and they are super yummy! For the holidays I roll mine in red and green sanding sugar or top them with sprinkles as they set.

Thank you! I've already made his hot chocolate recipe to give away and I want to add his marshmallow recipe. I like the topping ideas! How do you package them? I put the hot chocolate mix in those coffee bags (going to add labels and fabric ribbon). I also made and froze chocolate blocks. When it gets closer to Christmas, I have to defrost and add sticks so they can be stirred into a hot drink.

sugarcheryl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:34am
post #10 of 21

Okay thanks good ideas icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:47am
post #11 of 21

I'm doing 6" tortes, mini pb fudge pies, snowflake sugar cookies, and cake balls. I'm going to try homemade marshmallows too.

Lita829 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlygirl

I make pans of homemade cinnamon rolls for everyone, with maple-coffee frosting. I love doing them because there's no detail work involved (it's a nice change!), I can turn out a bunch in a relatively short amount of time, and they make the whole house smell heavenly for days. Man, I LOVE Christmas! icon_biggrin.gif

I agree...cinnamon rolls are fun to make icon_biggrin.gif . For all the marshmallow makers.... are they hard to make? I've always wanted to try to make them. I've had Alton Brown's marshmallow recipe for about 2 weeks now. Do they taste like store bought? I am planning to offer S'mores in my holiday gift baskets and I am debating on whether to attempt the homemade marshmallows or go with store bought.

BTW.....you all have some really good ideas icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 21

Decorated sugar cookies, oreo's dipped into chocolate and decorated like a snowman, regular drop cookies, pumpkin rolls, peppermint bark, pretzels dipped in chocolate and covered with sprinkles (or whatever you want), chocolates that have been painted in the molds and then filled in.

Wow! What an uncomplete runon sentence that was. Hehe.

Josie_girl Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 21

I usually make cookies and chocolate covered pretzels. I put them into cute containers that I find at Walmart or the Dollar stores. Everyone seems to love them and always wants to know if I'm doing it again this year. LOL! The only problem is that my MOM lives with me and she acts like a little kid when I'm cooking. She can't seem to wait for anything to cool before she has to be "Quality Control". LOL! I always seem to have to make more to make up for the "Deformed" ones that she deems unworthy to be given away but OK for her to eat. LOL!

Darth_Aerdna Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 21

Lita829- Alton Brown's Marshmallows are easy to make and taste incredible. Not at all like store bought- Better!

I made multiple batches last year for christmas. Regular marshmallow flavor, chocolate with mini chips added and rolled in cocoa, and cinnamon- with ground up red hots added in then rolled in the ground red hot "powder".

dandelion56602 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 21

I use to give baked goods until I ran into "I'm watching my weight" & my MIL threw out everything the day after Christmas!!!! Throw out everyone elses, but give mine back if you don't want it!!! So, they won't get any this year, but friends will. But cost wise it's cheaper to buy any gift icon_sad.gif . But mine taste good icon_smile.gif.

I do a variety. Fudge, cookies, breads, etc. I change it up every year & will start searching for recipes soon. I didn't have luck w/ marshmallows. To much mess for me!

annegirlca Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:39pm
post #17 of 21

Where can I find that marshmallow recipe??? I searched in the recipe section and could not find it. Thanks!

Lita829 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:17pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by azglobs

Lita829- Alton Brown's Marshmallows are easy to make and taste incredible. Not at all like store bought- Better!

I made multiple batches last year for christmas. Regular marshmallow flavor, chocolate with mini chips added and rolled in cocoa, and cinnamon- with ground up red hots added in then rolled in the ground red hot "powder".

WOW....very creative and they sound yummy!! Thanks for the breakdown and ideas icon_biggrin.gif

Lita829 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by annegirlca

Where can I find that marshmallow recipe??? I searched in the recipe section and could not find it. Thanks!

I found it on food network's website. www.foodnetwork.com

HTH

marilyn Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:43pm
post #20 of 21

I made marshmallows once. Make sure you use a heavy duty mixer.

CeeTee Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie_girl

I usually make cookies and chocolate covered pretzels. I put them into cute containers that I find at Walmart or the Dollar stores. Everyone seems to love them and always wants to know if I'm doing it again this year. LOL! The only problem is that my MOM lives with me and she acts like a little kid when I'm cooking. She can't seem to wait for anything to cool before she has to be "Quality Control". LOL! I always seem to have to make more to make up for the "Deformed" ones that she deems unworthy to be given away but OK for her to eat. LOL!

LOL! My boyfriend is the same way! Last year I did all my holiday baking at his house because my kitchen was too small (I've since moved to a much larger apartment). He had to have a sample of everything and he called it his "Kitchen Tax" icon_lol.gif He's already eagerly looking forward to this year and is asking when I need to come over to bake. I don't need to use his place anymore, but I am anyway because I'd hate to deprive him. *LOL*! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%