Baking A Cake 12" And 3" Deep

Decorating By Gavalily Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm by Gavalily

Gavalily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gavalily Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 9

How long does it really bake for??!! lol

I have had it in the oven for over an hour and it is still jiggly in the middle!

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 9

Did you use a heating core or flower nail in the middle?

It takes a bit more than an hour for a 10" at 325 with a flower nail as a heating core, so not too surprising that the 12" is taking longer.

Gavalily Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 9

I was unaware that you needed a heating core! Is it ruined? I have never baked with the 3" pans before!
Thanks so much for your help

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 9

Don't panic! Just leave it in until the middle tests done. When it's out of the pan, you may want to check around the edges to make sure that part didn't get overdone.

Wilton makes a big heating core that goes in the middle and gets filled with more batter, but most of us just use a flower nail, sprayed with pam spray and put upside down in the middle of the pan before the batter goes in. The idea is that it cooks more evenly so that the cake doesn't get a huge dome on the top. The flower nail only leaves a little hole and it doesn't have to be filled like the hole from the wilton heating core.

Gavalily Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much! I have more to bake so I will put the nail in the next batch! I am making my daughter's first birthday cake and my nerves are getting to me.

I have been a "lurker" for a long time, and I have to say I just love this site and how helpful everyone is!

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

A first birthday is so exciting! (and a little sad realizing how fast they grow, right?)

Are you making a smash cake too? That's always my favorite part.

Gavalily Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #7 of 9

Yeah, I am planning on making a topsy turvy cake and using the top layer as the smash cake....hopefully! lol

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 9

Sounds great! I hope you'll post a picture icon_biggrin.gif

Gavalily Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 9

Yes I will, I promise! I used to do a lot of baking and decorating and I got away from it for several years. I am very excited to get back into it, so you will probably see a lot of me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%