Bubble Tea Straws

Decorating By DLo912 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm by grandmom

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 18

Good afternoon, Cake world!

After watching numerous episodes of "Ace of Cakes" and seeing that they use bubble tea straws for support under their cakes, I am excited to try something other than those evil wooden dowels that I loathe and detest to cut. With that being said, I am looking to purchase them and have found some on amazon.com that are $2.45 for 50, but the shipping is high. For 100 straws and shipping, the total comes to over $10. Does anyone know of a nationwide store or even a store that is only in Northern KY, that carries the bubble tea straws?

Thanks!
Steph

17 replies
chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 18

I buy mine on Amazon, but I buy a TON at a time, so the shipping isnt bad. I just checked my last order, and it was 10 bags of straws WITH shipping for $38.21. I believe you can find them cheaper on ebay and a couple other places, but I'm an Amazon addict and just plain lazy, and I like not having to enter my payment and address info icon_biggrin.gif

DLo912 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 18

Haha! I totally agree! I hate having to enter all that info EVERY time. That's why I heart amazon: not only is your info already saved but so is your credit card. I think I will just go ahead and order from them. Thanks! : )

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 18

[quote="chefjulieI'm an Amazon addict and just plain lazy, and I like not having to enter my payment and address info icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

Me Too icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 18

Search your yellow pages for an Asian market/grocery store. I buy them locally for $1.50 per 50 straws with no shipping.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 18

If you have a party/paper supply store in your area check there. I am able to get to get a box of 600 at my local store for $12. I would think they would be less expensive in the US than where I live in Canada

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 18

I buy mine at the '99 ranch market' (it's a asian grocery store chain)...They are cheap and no shipping.

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 18

I get mine at an Italian Street Market, they are all over the place there. If you go to one of the vendors that sell packaging they usually have them. Check your local farmers/ Italian/ or Chinese Street Markets in the local city near you. I live in Philadelphia so we have a couple around here. They are $1.00 for a bag of 50 individually wrapped.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 18

Here's where I got mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/164-Giant-Boba-straws-cake-decorating-tiers-wood-dowel_W0QQitemZ220483837576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3355dc5e88

These are slightly sturdier than a set of 50 I got at another on-line site, for about the same price btw.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 18

I agree with the Asian stores. My fiance buys it for me for less than a dollar a pack (usually 50 pieces).

DLo912 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone! I'll be sure to check out the asian markets (I'll have to do some research) and the Party City out here! : )

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 18

My DH ordered my first bunch off Amazon too. At the time we didn't think to check our local Asian market. But I definitely prefer the bubble tea straws to those "evil" wooden dowels!

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #13 of 18

Do they come in plain white or black???? Does anyone have a problem with the look/appearance of the colored staws in the cake?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:17pm
post #14 of 18

I have never seen bubble tea straws in plain white or black and have no problem with the appearance of colored straws in the cake.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:31pm
post #15 of 18

I have no problem either with the colored straws in the cake.

DessertDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DessertDreams Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #16 of 18

I really want to try these straws. I thought that the colors would make my cake appear unprofessional...I guess that's funny b/c I'm not a professional. I don't want family and friends, who don't have a clue about cake stacking and construction to see the colored straws and think I put a random kitchen object in the cake to hold it up. Do any of you who have a bakery use the straws?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:44pm
post #17 of 18

JUst have them watch the "Ace of Cakes" - they have a pretty famous bakery, and that is what they use! icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 18

I bought a big old package of straws off eBay, and they came in multiple colors. So far I've been able to at least use straws of a coordinating color, so I don't think it looks bad at all. Wood doesn't look so good either!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%