Purse/handbag Cake...pls Help

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm by Deb_

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 8

I am going to try Purse cake, and I am not sure how to carve it and cover it with fondant. I am going to use 2 8x8 cake pans. Cut each in middle, so I should end up with a rectangle. Now Should I carve the last (top) layer only or should I go further. About 1 inch?? And should I carve the sharp edges or leave it, and carve only sides?
When done carving. I would like to cover with fondant each side separately (as I am not comfortable to do it in one piece), how should I measure each side? With template or by eye and cut out the overlaps when on the cakes??? Would you help?
PS: I read instruction of round cake purse, but it sound too mall, so that's why I am going to use 8x8 pan. Thank you!

7 replies
ZlatkaT Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 8

I am on my own icon_cry.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 8

No, you're not alone, I'm making my first Coach purse cake tonight too....it's for my DD's 21st b-day.

I baked 2- 7" x 11" cakes and I'm planning on stacking and carving them and doing a purse laying on it's side....then covering in ganache and fondant....I'll then hand paint on the "C" logos.

Good luck to you....wish me luck too!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 8

I've done a purse cake using two 8" squares cut in half. Mine ended up kind of box-y looking, not like a rectangle. I carved in at the top of both sides, but didn't do it enough, I guess.

To cover, I wrapped my fondant around, so I had a seam in the back. This cake wasn't made for anyone, just for fun or I would've taken better care to make sure the seam was at one of the back corners and not in the center.

You can see it here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1464846

I have read that even when using a template for the different pieces, they never end up being completely accurate, so you still have to trim the fondant to fit.

ZlatkaT Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 8

dkelly good luck with your project. I went ahead and finished my first handbag. I think it looks OK, but wish I could do a cleaner job. I am not that often working with fondant, so covering the handbag was a bit problem, I did it in a sections and had not clean edges, which I try co hide with the black stripes, but still it is visible.
Thank you for answering my post.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-ZlatkaT.html

Deb_ Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 8

Zlatka....that cake came out great....I love the tie dye effect! Happy Birthday to you!

Here's mine.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1509921

I ran out of time and didn't get to add all the details I wanted, like stitching and accessories. Oh well, it's for my DD I hope she likes it.

ZlatkaT Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 8

dkelly
nicely done! Wow that must have been a lot of work. thumbs_up.gif
And it sounds to yummy....is the filling recipe around?

Deb_ Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Zlatka!

For the filling I just added some peanut butter and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups to my regular buttercream (which is Sugarshack's recipe except I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 hi-ratio) It's really yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%