White Ganache

Decorating By teresacam Updated 24 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm by lrlt2000

teresacam Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:11am
post #1 of 15

Made a white chocolate ganache........ used a ratio of 3:1 choc to cream....
the choc didnt melt immediately so i put the mixture on a pan with hot water - bain marie....
the result is a buttery mixture

what have i done wrong

please help

14 replies
Bel_Anne Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:17am
post #2 of 15

Do you mean it thickened and the fat separated? If so , you've probably over cooked it. It's SO temperamental! Next time, try the microwave instead of stove top... and only like 10 seconds at a time! icon_smile.gif

teresacam Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 15

I made another two batches and when the ganache cooled , its like butter is coming out of it...

what on earth happened?

grandmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 15

What kind of white chocolate are you using?

Tell us exactly how many oz. of chocolate to oz. of cream you used, please.

teresacam Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 15

I am using white Italian cooking chocolate

i used 4 oz of cream and 12 oz of white chocolate.

does it take a while to set before using??

KathysCC Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 15

I just made some last night for a cake today. I used Baker's white chocolate squares in a 3:1 ratio. I put the chocolate in the food processor first so it is almost in granules. I heated the cream to boiling and dumped it over the white chocolate and then stired slowly. It does turn an almost clearish, gross looking color, not white, but when it cools it becomes more like white chocolate again.

If you are still having problems with separation, then it might be the chocolate you are using.

delisa01 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresacam

I am using white Italian cooking chocolate

i used 4 oz of cream and 12 oz of white chocolate.

does it take a while to set before using??

Yes, you should let it rest overnight to set up and thicken.

teresacam Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks all! It seems to be settling into a better consistency.

Any tips how to soften it so that i can spread it smoothly on the cake?

thanks again

Sweetsbym Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:45pm
post #9 of 15

After chilling my Ganache over night, Before I use it I take it out of the fridge and let it stand room temp so I can Spread it on cake smoothly. I dont know how to explain this but If im press for time I spoon a little bit of ganache on a spatula (the straight one) then have another spatula on my other hand. Spread the ganache on the spatula kinda rebeating it till I get a spreading consistency then put it on my cake icon_lol.gif Im sorry dont really know how to explain it properly. icon_redface.gif HTH

Bel_Anne Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 15

If there's an oily 'butter' coming out of it. As in the fat has separated, it's been overheated and you won't be able to use it. I've done this so many times... It just won't spread for a smooth finish. I've used it once before and had lumpy cake despite all my efforts to smooth it.
Once you've added the boiled cream to the chocolate, you have to be careful about heating it again.. Try the microwave next time instead... icon_smile.gif

gingersoave Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 15

The way I do mine is let it sit on the counter overnight (yes NO refrigeration) with saran wrap touching the top of the ganache and outside of the bowl, then it will thicken overnight. Put it into the microwave for 5 second increments and stir really well, I have accidentially put it in the micro too long and had to let it harden in the fridge before putting on the cake. Once it hardens overnight you can fridge it or freeze it. Works every time!! The ratio for white is 3:1 and the chocolate is 2:1 ratio.

good luck! Sounds like you just didnt let it sit overnight or long enough. Should be the consistency of peanut butter.

ginger

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 15

I've read up a little on this method, and was wondering: after I ice my cake with white chocolate ganache, does it set up hard or soft? If it's the consistency of peanut butter, I worry the fondant will slide/move!

Does it harden outside the frig like a crusting buttercream?

KathysCC Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 15

I am not a professional when it comes to ganache...just started using it myself BUT I have heard that white chocolate ganache is less stable and more likely to not "set" than regular chocolate. I think the key is your ratio. With white chocolate you have to use a 3:1 ratio or 4:1 ratio to get it really hard. I suppose a lot depends on the type of white chocolate you are using too. Experimenting would be your best bet.

JustToEatCake Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I've read up a little on this method, and was wondering: after I ice my cake with white chocolate ganache, does it set up hard or soft? If it's the consistency of peanut butter, I worry the fondant will slide/move!

Does it harden outside the frig like a crusting buttercream?

I was wondering this myself because it seems creamy and not solid'ish or dry at all.

lrlt2000 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 15

I learned by doing! It does harden nicely at room temp, and gives you a nice solid surface for laying fondant! If it gets to sticky to spread, you just microwave it for 10 seconds or so (depending on how big your bowl is) and it's instantly spreadable again.

When you put on two coats (one crumb, one clean), it's even stiffer. I still am not sure about the spots where the ganache goes over the buttercream that is showing--that is a little dicey. Maybe someone will have advice for that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%