Does This Sound Like A Good Deal Or Is It Not Worth My While

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm by Kitagrl

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 16

I posted an ad locally in my area on craigslist, saying I decorate cakes.

I then got a response back from a local business that does wedding planning. The full response is below and should give you an idea of what they are looking for. My question is about the amount of money they are offering. It doesn't seem like much to me. I get the feeling like they would be getting most of the money and I would be doing more work than it would be worth, but I could be wrong because I have never done anything like this. Please read below and give me your opinion.

Hello,
We saw your ad on craigslist and would like more information.
We are looking to put someone on staff that bakes cakes from their own location and deliver to our clients. We would contract the cakes through our store, do all appointments and then pay our baker/decorator per slice (1.00 per slice w/tiers 12" and larger and 1.25 for tiers 10" and smaller). If you are interested, we would need to do a face to face interview to taste your cakes and speak about details. Please e-mail back asap, if interested.
--
Regards,
Jon and Janet Knudson
Event Central LLC (formerly Wedding Central)
12480C Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23606

15 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 16

Not that I am a pro with contracts or anything but I wouldn't be too happy with them setting the price of the servings instead of me. Is that price for both fondant and buttercream? What about you making hand made sugar flowers? That would impact the price. I just don't want you to get short changed.

I would still call to find out more info, though. You'll never know if you don't. If you all can work out the kinks....I think it could be a good deal icon_smile.gif

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:53am
post #3 of 16

Beware of scams..........I don't like craigslist icon_sad.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:00am
post #4 of 16

$1 a slice delivered? And you have overhead of baking and supplies? Of course, they should get a cut, but it seems like they are way above 50%. Now, questions:

Are you guaranteed a minimum on a cake?

Will you get a delivery fee?

What happens if they don't get paid, do you?

I am assuming $1 includes flat buttercream on a basic cake. No upgrades, right?

This has the potential for a lot of work for little pay. The margins in caking aren't that big to share so much. This business owner is looking to make money off someone who doesn't know what they are getting into.

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #5 of 16

Who would be paying for the supplies and ingredients?

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:36am
post #6 of 16

That would probably, if you're lucky, just cover your ingredients and other supplies (elec., usage of pans etc) nothing for your work, nothing for delivery. they are looking for a free ride

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 6:47am
post #7 of 16

You realize they are looking for a their own personal cheap wedding-cake-making-machine? They are setting the (waaaaay cheap) prices and making it clear you won't have any contact with the brides.

They are probably charging 2-3 times that for "your" cake....... (probably more). What a scam! They are in Virginia? East Coast usually brings in good prices - that is an insult.

But what a cash cow that will be if they find someone to do it? icon_surprised.gif I kind of laughed because they are basically asking for the moon and sun and then telling you that you have to interview for the "job". INSANITY!!!!!!!!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:05am
post #8 of 16

It seems like they do not want you to have any contact with the brides. What will happen when the bride says I want this, this and this? They will have no idea of the costs involved, time involved or anything else and they are gonna come to you and say we agreed on $1.25 per slice. NO WAY !!! They are looking to get credit and get paid for your work. What about tastings, deliveries all of that stuff?

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:06am
post #9 of 16

I wouldn't anything for that offer. $1.25/serving??? That's just crazy and WWAAAAYYYYYY too low. Unless, you could call and discuss or ask for a LOT better price, I would not even bother. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS: I heard a LOT about craiglist's scam. They asked you to make a cake for this and that and then, boom, you don't get paid at all. Please check their business permit/status thoroughly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 16

*IF* it's a legit offer, it's obvious they have no knowledge of cakes at all. They're sitting around thinking, "Oh wow! Wouldn't it be great if we could offer cakes, too? That would be fun! We could buy them for, oh, gosh, let's say ..... A DOLLAR!!! and then resell them for whatever we want! Let's do it!"

(big sigh!)

*IF* you respond, make it clear up front that a $1/slice is an ABSURD price and if they are open to talking about a REAL price, then you MIGHT be interested. If they want dollar-cakes, send them to the local grocery bakery.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 16

I wouldn't even reply. They are not offering anything other than find the clients, maybe. You can do that too and keep all the profit. Plus, not to mention the liablility if something goes wrong with the cake. What if people get sick because they didn't store the cake correctly or something?

DragonFly2333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DragonFly2333 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 5:19pm
post #12 of 16

I read this post last night and this morning I came to the conclusion that it has to be a scam. I did google the company and they seem to be legit, but I wonder if they are the ones really e-mailing you??

I see it this way: If you agree, at some point personal info needs to be exchanged. Most likely banking info (to pay you--direct deposit) which could open the door for identity theft and so much more.

I would contact the company and see if they really are the ones e-mailing you.

Sadly, the scammers just keep getting smarter.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 9:38pm
post #13 of 16

I don't know if it's a scam or not, there are places around here that do all-inclusive packages for weddings, and that might be what they're getting at.

HOWEVER, their pricing is way too low, like everyone else has said. They're obviously just trying to make money off of you, and I wouldn't do it.

One venue around here that does the packages for their brides bills the bride $3.50 per guest for the cake, then the baker they contract with bills them directly. If the baker goes over the price that the bride paid the venue, THE VENUE PAYS THE BAKER THE FULL PRICE ANYWAY. That means that the venue will take a hit on the price of the cake. That's how a legitimate business will try to keep their clients happy.

The people who try to "broker" your cakes don't want to make their clients happy, they just want to make a buck, and they want it to come out of your pocket.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #14 of 16

I would be insulted if someone in the wedding business sent me a low-ball offer like that.

That is fricking ridiculous.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:02pm
post #15 of 16

Not NEARLY enough.... yes, I would be insulted.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:22pm
post #16 of 16

I have been warned in the past that most of the time its not good to work with caterers like that because they always want to pay cheap prices, obviously because they are looking to make a profit from YOUR work.

I've tried a couple times just to see, and sure enough, they all want to pay a pittance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%