To Those Of You Who Use Foam Boards

Decorating By Cascades Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 7:14am by Cakepro

Cascades Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 7

I am using foam boards for the first time. I was wondering if they are sturdy enough for the stacked cakes. And do you have to cover them with something in between tiers. I guess I am asking if you cam use them just like the cake cardboards.

6 replies
lisa78332 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 7

I use them just like cake boards. I usually buy them when they are on sale at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Cover them like you normally would any board. Depending on the weight of the cake, you may need thicker or doubling them up.

Cascades Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:26am
post #3 of 7

I usually don't cover my cake boards with anything when I am using them in between tiers. Do I have to cover foam boards. Are they food safe

lisa78332 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 7

they are food safe, alot of people use them for cakes. I do recommend that you cover them because they are not individually wrapped and therefore don't know where they've been or whats crawled on them.

Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #5 of 7

It works great to cover them with press and seal wrap. I use foamcore in all of my stacked cakes, it's much sturdier than cardboard.

madgeowens Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:58am
post #6 of 7

I would not use press and seal, the plastic ever comes loose and gets stuck across some kids trachea(wind pipe) that would be tragic.

Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:14am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

I would not use press and seal, the plastic ever comes loose and gets stuck across some kids trachea(wind pipe) that would be tragic.

Press 'n Seal is like a big sticker. I have cut cake boards with Press 'n Seal on them and it does not come up in sheets.

Seriously, think the scenario through ~ if the kid got a piece of that in his/her trachea, there will also be a piece of cake with it...in which case the choke hazard is the CAKE, not the Press 'n Seal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%