Will These Things Keep? And How?

Decorating By tootsa Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm by chillysmommy

tootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #1 of 9

So I am (was) doing this cake that was to be delivered on Friday. I baked all day Wednesday and Sunday I had made 350 fondant flowers with Royal icing middles. I also iced plastic peaks (for a castle) with royal icing.

I got a phone call today that they need to cancel the party. They still want me to make the 'real' cake when they reschedule. How much of this stuff can I still use??

I'm afraid to freeze the cakes and have they taste 'off'. So even if I choose not to do that...

Will the fondant flowers keep? Is there a particular way I should be storing them?

What about the plastic peaks covered in RI? Can I just wrap them in tissue paper or something and box them?

Please help!! I need to let her know if I will have to start from scratch or the expense (in money and TIME) won't be that great, when the time comes.

TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #2 of 9

You can keep the fondant flowers in a box, not airtight but covered to keep dust out. They'll keep for a long time. Royal icing also keeps and no one was going to eat the covered plastic parts anyhow, right?

And about freezing the cake, wrap it in plastic wrap and then in foil and it will be fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #3 of 9

.........baked all day Wednesday and Sunday I had made 350 fondant flowers with Royal icing middles. I also iced plastic peaks (for a castle) with royal icing. ........

It will all keep just fine icon_smile.gif
As the other poster said, just put them in a box and store in a dry, cool place out of light.
As for the cakes that are baked wrap them in plastic/cling wrap; put in a cake box &/or plastic bag and freeze. They will be fine and NOT has an off taste.

tootsa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much for your help! I'd hate to have to do all that work over again!! icon_eek.gif

tootsa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9

by the way...the cakes are all double or triple wrapped in saran already and in the fridge. is it ok to wait until tomorrow to move them to the freezer? does it make any difference?

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:25am
post #6 of 9

My advice would be get them into the freezer as soon as possible and as well wrapped as possible. I also put my wrapped cakes back into the tin they were baked in to help protect them and keep their shape while in the freezer.
HTH

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 9

Please be certain you charge for any additional time, or wasted materials.

tootsa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:55am
post #8 of 9

Putting them in the pans sounds like a good idea. I was concerned about them keeping their shape. However, I have 4 cakes and 2 pans... Maybe one in the pan and one on a cake board on top of it?

I've been keeping track of my time so far and it's already atleast 15 hours. Some of that won't be wasted (as long as I do the 'real cake' when it comes time) Not sure how to account for this...

I actually haven't really figured out how to price this cake. It gets all confusing to me when I get to the flour that costs 5 bucks and I only used 3 cups of it, ya know? And then when I account for my time, the cake winds up being extremely expensive.... I feel like I don't get paid for most of my time, bc it takes so long... Not sure ppl realize how much time actually goes into all of this. icon_confused.gif

any advice would, again, be helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

chillysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillysmommy Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 9

I'm in the same boat about being confused. It seems to take a while to do the cakes and all the small portions of the large packages makes it hard to charge fairly. I know how to charge for my graphic design work - by the hour - but for cakes, that would be an incredible fee! I end up just going by what other places do and charge by the amount of servings (I do $2 per slice), plus a little for any special figures/fondant, etc. Doesn't seem comparable to the amount of work... I guess it's all about the love.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%