Royal Icing On Italian Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By cindyluc Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm by TheBlonde

cindyluc Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 2

I have a frosted IMB cake in the fridge for a little girl called Violet.
My plan was to put a bunch of royal icing violets on the cake. Then I realized, this may be a problem because her party isn't until Saturday and her Mom is picking it up on Friday afternoon.

Here is my question: How much time does it take before the buttercream starts to melt those violets? When should I put them on?

I know there are a lot of variables like humidity, refrigeration etc., but I was hoping to find someone who could tell me when they usually put royal icing decorations on their cakes.

thanks in advance

1 reply
TheBlonde Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 2

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a response. Grease is horrible with RI. I originally thought people were overreacting but found out for myself when I stored my RI in a regular tupperware container that I use for regular food. Melted the RI terribly. I now have specific containers for my RI and nothing else!

Are the violets already hardened? That will make them last longer on the BC.

Edited to say I haven't slept in 5 days so obviously I'm not thinking straight(daughter has pneumonia) but I've used my hardened RI flowers on BC icing a ton of times. They even sit overnight on the cake in the fridge and they are just perfect the next afternoon for a party. As long as they are hardened, you should be fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%