Need Advise Please..

Decorating By beatricecakes Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm by -K8memphis

beatricecakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a wedding cake three teir in buttercream with two rolls of small roses going around them.. The problem I am having is my layers are only three inches high.. I don't think it looks right. How high should they be...

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 5

An idea for you is to cut some foamcore boards or use a stack of cardboard circles cut the size of the cake to give it some balance--just ice it all as if it were all cake.

Three inches is ok but if you're questioning it I'm offering some suggestions. It's often 4 inches but three inches is acceptable--but I hope you have some compensation built in by having baked off extra servings maybe?

But even if you didn't it's ok--not exactly plan A but if you can jack up the height on the bottom tier that will help visually.

I mean you could bake off another cake the same size as your bottom tier and torte it and place another layer on each tier. Just cut the remaining layers to fit the two other smaller tiers. It would look a little 'different' when it's served but that's just another idea to balance out the heighth.

Don't be afraid of heights thoughts for you.

kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:47am
post #3 of 5

Many people make 3" high tiers. It is a personal opinion if they should be 3" or 4".
You say your 'layers' are 3". Are you splitting/torting them? That will add a bit more height. Are you putting 2 layers together?
If you really want to make them taller bake another layer of each size or one or two of them to add to what you already have.

beatricecakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

Thank you guys so much for everything.. Now I can stop worry about it.. They have another sheet cake to go with the wedding cake so they have enough so I think I will just add more cardboard under each.. Now i can stop having a heartach... lol

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 5

Beatrice -- go by 'eye' though, more than by the ruler itself--sometimes the smaller tiers give a more pleasing profile if they are a little shorter than the bottom tier. So do ramp up the bottom tier but just watch & see how it develops.

For example-- a 6x4 inch cake looks taller than a 14x4 inch cake just by virtue of the different dimensions involved-kwim.

Just a stacking thought for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%