Air Brush System

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 12:57pm by PinkLisa

msulli10 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 13

I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find it, so forgive me for asking again. What air brush system do folks prefer? There are so many to choose from I don't know where to start. I want something relatively easy to work with.

12 replies
PinkLisa Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 13

I've read all the recent threads on airbrush machines since I would like to buy one soon but there doens't seem to be a consensus on the best. There seems to be a wide range of prices. It's all very confusing.

msulli10 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 13

do you have a link to the threads?

Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 13

I have 2 of them. A Badger which is awful to use, and a GREX TS-3 which I am in love with. The GREX is hands down a better airgun, much easier to use and very precise. I could sign a check with it if I wanted to. It was a little pricey, but IMO, well worth the money spent on it.

msulli10 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 13

Loucinda -Thanks for the info. Where did you buy it and was it kit or did you purchase the parts separately?

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #6 of 13

My stuff is from Air Brush City that is being bought out.

I bought the GD102 as a package with another brush, which doesn't have it's model on the box.

The GD102 is gravity fed and has a huge cup. It also has an adjustable needle, which I haven't figured out. This is not such a good thing. It takes forever for the color to get to the needle and then forever to clean it. That being said if you are trying to do a huge cake it could be your brush. My other brush came with jars but are offset and not gravity fed. I haven't attempted to try it out.

I like my system specifically because I can use the compressor for other things.

Recently, I took an informative class for airbrushing. They featured the red one, KopyKake, for cakes.

What I didn't like about it was the compressor ran continuously. It also seemed that the instructor had to change the pressure to get her effects.

Personally, I can't stand that noise. Mine can be set between 18 and 20 psi and it only runs when it runs out of pressure. Once I learn how to use mine, I'm hoping I'm better off.

JenniferMI Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 13

I have a KK airbrush and the airmaster compressor. LOVE both!

Jen icon_smile.gif
PS - Get a compressor that you can adjust the pressure on, very important.

PinkLisa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:06am
post #8 of 13

Jennifer -- The KK airbrush seems to be the most expensive. I'm willing to pay for quality. Is the cost worth it? My husband has a compressor he uses for his woodworking tools. He said he would run a line up to my kitchen so I would just have to plug it in and hit a switch. I assume that would work -- it does have many pressure settings. Thanks!

sugarMomma Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 13

PinkLisa-I don't have much experience in this, but when researching cake airbrushes I remember reading that you have to be careful about PSI to not blow a hole in your cake icing. As long as your husbands compressor can adjust to the correct setting, why not?

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #10 of 13

Your husband can run a line as long as the big guy can do 18 to 20 psi.

He probably will have to get fittings as well.

My big guy just doesn't do 18 to 20 psi, it was designed to run tools that need 90psi or higher.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:28am
post #11 of 13

I think you can get a gadget to 'down-grade' the pressure (probably not the correct term, but ...) That would save some money on the compressor.

I recently got an Iwata compressor and Paasche gun. I haven't used it much and have terrible skills, but so far I like it.

Loucinda Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

The system I have is partly Grex and partly badger. Grex actually sells a regulator that fits on their airbrush to control the compresor. You don't have to buy the whole thing from them - they sell pieces and parts for about any system to work with their airgun.

PinkLisa Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 13

THANKS EVERYONE for your input!! I think I'll give this a try since it will be so much cheaper and the compressor can stay in the basement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%