Cake Co. Sued Over Styrofoam Cake

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 7:34pm by all4cake

-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 32

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225410/Wedding-fake-Newlyweds-cut-cake-reception--iced-block-polystyrene.html

I think there's more to this than is being reported.

Also, check out the comment from 'Marie, USA' further down, who says that 'most' wedding cakes are styrofoam, and that 'no fancy wedding cake has ever tasted good'!!!!!!

31 replies
Win Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 32

I liked this comment from a reader:

Quote:
Quote:

Why did the Mother feel the need to 'shout' to the whole party it was a fake cake?

- Dave, Bristol, 05/11/2009 15:19

tanyascakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 32

Wow, that is crazy!! I can see where she may have forgotten to bake the cake-this is why I don't do a bunch of cakes in the same week myself. But she really did tell them that it was a fake for the pics and that they had kitchen cakes to cut from. I am not saying that she isn''t wrong, just that she did explain what had happened. And she offered them a refund, yet they still sued her! I am so glad that this hasn't happened to me. It could also be an instance of not having the dates right wth the client and that is what is meant by the "by the time she contacted me" thing. I wish her good luck from now on with her business, though.

motherofgrace Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 32

i just posted a comment, its nicole canada icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 32

and of course the obligatory remark of how this one thing RUINED their wedding! icon_surprised.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 32

I just added mine. (insert maniacal devil face here)

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 32

Damn. You have to wait for them to post??? WTH? ((sigh))

motherofgrace Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 32

i heaqrd about that, its posted all over facebook

-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 32

Ah, now that story made me cry. Proper cry.
Heartbreaking and beautiful. Here I go again.

tanyascakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 32

Oh, that story broke my heart, __Jaime__! To think that one small child could have so much thought and love in her heart is proof to me that God exists in all places, people and times! I feel grievous for the family. But isn't that a wonerful gift that their child left to help them through their grief!

Reimagining_Confections Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:29pm
post #12 of 32

What a way to start the morning. It is truly beautiful and yet very sad. I went and hugged my daughter that just told me I was a mean mommy because I wouldn't let her wear shorts and short sleeved shirt to school in 45degree weather. Attitude and all, I truly am blessed.

Damn Jamie where is a thread here to make me laugh. Indydebi- HELP!!!!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 32

Saw this one in the local paper. Had to laugh, Sh%^ happens, im sure the bride will get over the horrendous shock eventually :/

2SchnauzerLady Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:08pm
post #14 of 32

The bride was probably more traumatized by her mother shouting the cake was fake in front of all her family and friends than she was by the cake being fake. I personally could have dealt with a fake cake, but would have been mortified if my mother shouted it to everyone!

all4cake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 32

Isn't Creative Cakes a CC member? It'd be nice to hear her full side...

ETA: Maybe not...there's only like a thousand bakeries with that name...I know there's at least one CC member who's bakery has that name though.

all4cake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:23pm
post #16 of 32

The bank worker and her husband, 26, were married in Cyprus a week earlier and flew home for their reception in Pembrey, Carmarthenshire.

They had already ordered the cake, paying £270 up front to confectioners Creative Cakes in their hometown of Llanelli, west Wales.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225410/Wedding-fake-Newlyweds-cut-cake-reception--iced-block-polystyrene.html#ixzz0W5Z6FIQl

It doesn't state when they ordered it exactly, just that they had already ordered it...could've been the day they took off to Cyprus...a week earlier
She said: 'By the time Aimee contacted me it was too late to make the proper cake. I would never have the time to bake a cake and ice it in that time.

She may have informed them of the styro cake but the whole shouting out of the fake cake thing and the serving cakes being left for others to see and their own lack of planning (ooooooooh, maybe it was a shotgun wedding and if others knew they had JUST ordered the cake they may think they HAD to get married...uh huh) their torrid little 'secret' would've been busted wide open!

And being a home-based business, maybe she offered her a refund to avoid exactly what happened...negative press.

sadsmile Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 32

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif How does a 6 year old know enough to do that... extraordinary loving thoughtful. What an amazing little girl! What a heart warming a sad story.

littlecake Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 12:41am
post #18 of 32

We were just about to cut it when someone discovered the cake people had left four layers of sponge cake in the hotel reception.

doesn't this mean that the bakery left them sheet cakes to serve?
so they had a cake to cut with pics and a kitchen cake to eat...wheres the big trauma?

Lorendabug Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:04am
post #19 of 32

Sounds like there is more to the story than what has been reported.

misserica Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #20 of 32

I read the cake story, strange.

The story of the little girl has me crying.

ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #21 of 32

To me it seems like they didn't know they were getting a dummy???

ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:26am
post #22 of 32

To me it seems like they didn't know they were getting a dummy???

all4cake Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #23 of 32

Maybe the cake decorator informed them,

"I'll bring in some sheet cakes to serve and a tiered cake dummy."

What they heard may have been,

"I'll bring in some sheet cakes to serve and a tiered cake, dummy."

ETA: I'm so tempted to email her and ask her to post here but I'm afraid she might be so fed up with the subject....KWIM?

sadsmile Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #24 of 32

Making the ordered wedding cake takes less time then making the dummy and then making sheet cakes too and decorating them.

Unless they already have sheet cakes made up that they used.

Even then they could have cut the rounds out of the sheet cakes and made the cake as ordered and just lost $ on the scraps left and fulfilled the order...

None of this adds up.

-Tubbs Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 3:48pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

None of this adds up.

No, that's exactly what I though when I read the story. I'd love to know the facts, Ma'am.

Bonnie151 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:

Making the ordered wedding cake takes less time then making the dummy and then making sheet cakes too and decorating them.

icon_confused.gif No it doesn't.

Scenario 1: Making the ordered cakes

Bake cakes.
Let them settle.
Level and torte.
Buttercream & cover with sugarpaste.
Dowel and stack
Decorate.

Elapsed time - day of baking & settling, next day levelling, torting, decorating

Scenario 2: Covering dummies & doing kitchen cakes

Cover and decorate dummies while kitchen cakes are baking.
Cover kitchen cakes

Elapsed time - 1 day. Kitchen cakes take a FRACTION of the time to cover and don't need the settling time that a tiered cake does.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie151

Quote:

icon_confused.gif No it doesn't.

Scenario 1: Making the ordered cakes

Bake cakes.
Let them settle.
Level and torte.
Buttercream & cover with sugarpaste.
Dowel and stack
Decorate.

Elapsed time - day of baking & settling, next day levelling, torting, decorating

Scenario 2: Covering dummies & doing kitchen cakes

Cover and decorate dummies while kitchen cakes are baking.
Cover kitchen cakes

Elapsed time - 1 day. Kitchen cakes take a FRACTION of the time to cover and don't need the settling time that a tiered cake does.

I agree. I can ice a sheet cake in my sleep. You don't have to take the time to smooth it out as much because it's gonna stay in the kitchen! Nobody sees it!

I used to work with this lady that couldn't say no to anyone. People would come up to her with many sob stories about why they need a cake asap and she would bend over and take the order. She was the most stressed out person I've ever met.

Sounds to me like this bakery could be similar to my coworker. Is it possible the couple eloped and the baker thought it was so cute and they couldn't say no to the smitten couple? Then they look at their orders and say "oh crap, how are we going to get this done????"

I learned to "shut off my emotion chip" a while ago. Yes, it's cake and it's fun, but it's also a business. If there's no way I can get a cake out that's up to my standards, then I don't do it.

Rosiepan Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #28 of 32

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/11/05/police-called-in-over-fake-wedding-cake-threats-91466-25099810/
This article explains in more detail that the bride failed to confirm her order as reqired by the signed contract. Which explains why the cake wasn't made.

Bonnie151 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 4:39pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

I agree. I can ice a sheet cake in my sleep. You don't have to take the time to smooth it out as much because it's gonna stay in the kitchen! Nobody sees it!

Yep. I recently had someone say that they wanted a cupcake tower from me and a kitchen cake on top (presumably because they are less expensive than a cake for show). I had to explain exactly WHY they really truly DIDN'T want a kitchen cake on show and that they needed to pay for a properly covered/smoothed cake!! lol

all4cake Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 32

That's a shame! She had a contract that customer didn't abide by and because she was ill and couldn't attend the court proceedings, she was ordered to reimburse plus court costs even though she'd already informed the customer she'd reimburse her? What a freakin' COW!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%