Need Advice: Buttercream Or Fondant?

Decorating By MiriamG Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm by MiriamG

MiriamG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiriamG Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I am putting together a cake (tonight!) for which I made a fondant "panel" for each side. It's a square cake. Each panel has some royal icing designs on it, as well as cut outs. I would like the color behind the cut outs to be gold (I'm using luster dust and lemon extract to paint that).

The panels are ivory colored with blue decoration.

Should I: Put blue fondant on the whole cake, then put the panels on top of that and paint the area inside the cut outs gold?

Or should I: Put blue buttercream icing on the cake, since the panels are made of fondant (hardened now), so as not to have too much fondant on the cake?

I clearly didn't plan this well enough...any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Miriam

4 replies
awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 5

I would do the blue buttercream . A lot of people don't like that much fondant on a cake and it also makes it hard to cut.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 5

Yep, what she ^^^^ said icon_smile.gif

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:01am
post #4 of 5

Buttercream. Adhere your panels with piping gel or corn syrup if you don't have piping gel (assuming you're using a crusting bc).

MiriamG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiriamG Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all! I chickened out - I covered it in fondant and then adhered the fondant panels to that with RI. I will instruct them to remove the panels before cutting.

I'm a bit of a beginner, not so confident yet in my BC skills.

I posted photos of the cake in my profile if you'd like to see how it turned out (it's the blue and white "morroccan" one).

Thank you all - I will keep it in mind for next time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%