Which Do You Prefer??

Decorating By scionmom Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm by TexasSugar

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 9

A person that wants you to make a cake and knows exactly what they want, or a person that has no clue and wont even give you colors to go for?? I have two ladies this month that want cakes for their daughters, but dont have any clue what they want. I ask for their favorite two colors and figure I can go from there, but they just say, "ya know, girl colors". What in the world? I have two girls but they are different as night and day and both have different favorite colors.
I am just at a loss right now...
Just thought I would ask everyone else's preference.

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 9

I am not a creative genius by any stretch of the imagination, so I really prefer they tell me EXACTLY what they want on their cake. I hate it when they tell me to do "whatever" . icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

I like to do my own thing, but it helps to have some idea of color scheme and whether they want elegant or whimsical, that kind of thing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 9

i like a little of both.. i do like some kind of idea and colors.. then let me go from there.. that is fun..

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 9

I like for them to tell me what they want - color, flavor, # of people, fondant vs. buttercream, the more the better.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 9

I actually like either one. If they don't know what they want, I just create a design that has techniques that I need to learn or practice. Since I can't charge for my cakes at this point, they can't complain. icon_lol.gif Of course, if they did complain, that would be the last cake they get from me icon_biggrin.gif
If they want a specific design, then I'm happy to do that too. It all gives me an opportunity to improve my skills!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:00am
post #7 of 9

I like to know as much detail that they want, as possible.

Jen icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 3:10am
post #8 of 9

I like to know something to help focus on but if they have NO ideas I do my own thing. Usually that would mean roses & writing OR fondant circles - depending on the ages.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 9

For me it depends on who it is for. My SIL will give me the event and I get to pick what I want to do. Her stuff is mostly ag related, so animals are usually a good way to go there.

Other times I do want more than a do what ever you want. I want atleast something to give me an idea of what they are looking for so I know that they will like the design I choose. Especially since we all have different likes and dislikes and tastes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%