Boiling Cream/milk

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 8 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm by Lorabell

Lorabell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I know this is probably a very basic question, BUT how do you boil cream/milk? In the past, I've always waited till I saw little bubbles form around the sides of the pan. It's not a rolling boil is it??

Thanks for helping!

Lori

5 replies
7yyrt Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

You are correct, just the bubbles around the outsides. Also called scalded milk.

Why did you need boiling milk?

Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabell

Hi,

I know this is probably a very basic question, BUT how do you boil cream/milk? In the past, I've always waited till I saw little bubbles form around the sides of the pan. It's not a rolling boil is it??

Thanks for helping!

Lori

It would probably help if you put the context your using it in. Are you boiling it for Gamnache, or Mashed potatoes? If ganache, I boil till I see a lil ring of bubbles just starting to form. If you take it to a full boil you will burn the chocolate.

Mike

Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 6

Just nuke it in the microwave. Sometimes I have the patience to wait until I see tiny bubbles (at a scald) and sometimes I walk off and it's a raging boil. Either way, in the 12 years I've been making ganache, I've never burned the chocolate when adding boiling cream to it.

Lorabell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

Hello,

I was needing to know for a recipe and as usual I can't remember what recipe now because I've gotten side tracked. Thanks anyway. Now I will know for the next recipe. haha.

Lori

Lorabell Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 6

OK, I remembered. The boiling cream is called for in chocolate truffle cake, which I really want to try. Reading through the directions though, I got a little confused. Has anyone tried this recipe?

Thanks All,
Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%