Huge Issues With Cream Cheese Icing!

Decorating By j_arney Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 12:50am by -Tubbs

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 9

I this was the first cake I had every sold. Usually they're donations. I was having SO much trouble with my cream cheese icing. It was getting thinner and thinner. I'm not sure why. More sugar wouldn't help, turning hte A/C on didn't help, etc. It also wasn't crusting. So I'd put it on, it would slide down the cake, never crust, then I couldn't even smooth it. I tried to smooth it and a huge layer just came off with the paper towel. It was such a mess!! Also, because it wouldn't crust, all the icing came up when I removed the board from the top tier. I'm at the party and I go to cut the bottom tier and there's no icing on the top. What a mess. Remind me never to use cream cheese icing again!!
LL
LL

8 replies
j_arney Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sorry I posted the photo so many times. I'm new icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 9

What recipe did you use (please post the actual recipe)?

j_arney Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 9

I don't have it with me, but it was the one on the Wilton site. I believe it was:
1c butter
16 oz cream cheese
1 lb powdered sugar
1T milk

It mentioned some orange juice, but I left that out. Even left out the milk because I could tell it didn't need anymore liquid.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 9

Did you use low-fat or no-fat cream cheese? That NEVER works for me. Cream cheese frosting needs that fat.

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 9

That looks really good for cream cheese icing. There is a recipe on here somewhere for crusting cream cheese icing, but to me does not taste near as good as real cream cheese icing. If you must use real cream cheese I try to cover it with fondant, because there really is no getting it smooth. But even that is a pain in the a**! ha ha

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 9

Hmm...Looks like too much cream cheese and not enough powdered sugar.

I suggest:
1 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
32 oz powdered sugar (that's 2lbs)
2 tbsp sour cream

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 9

just tried the crusting cream cheese recipe here on cc. Wonderful and tasted good

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #9 of 9

Sorry that happened to you. I also think that's way too much fat for that amount of sugar. I will no longer do cream cheese as anything other than a filling because of bad experiences (and NEVER put it under fondant - ask me how I know this!!!).

I just wanted to say that is a really nice cake design. Cute colours and the fondant cut-outs are lovely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%