How Do You Make Fondant Shiny?

Decorating By CWIL Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm by CWIL

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 21

Working on a red race car cake and the fondant is very dull looking. I saw recently where someone said something like mixing vodka with gel paste color to shine up black fondant. Can't remember exactly. I also when doing an internet search for this saw someone saying that they spray their cake with Pam? IDK - has anyone tried this?

Besides steaming (cuz I don't have a steamer and don't want to go buy one right now), what are your suggestions? What have you had success with?

Thanks guys!!!

20 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 21

There is a recipe for edible varnish here on CC. Search the recipe section. Don't know about spraying with Pam.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 21

Painting it with gel color and vodka will give it a shine. You can also paint it with plain vodka but adding some gel color will help the color pop and the shine stay for a long time.

I wouldn't spray it with pam spray...my pam spray comes out yellow, even the one that's not butter flavored. It comes out in little dots too, not a solid mist.

Confectioner's glaze is another way to get the shine but it stinks and you have to buy thinner for it so you can get it off the paintbrush. It makes a glassy shine though.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 21

I had great success making my fondant shiny by mixing vodka and corn syrup 50/50 ratio and just painting it on the fondant. It gave the fondant a high gloss look. It was so easy.

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 21

You can use a steam iron... just let it steam heavily and put it near the cake... otherwise you'll have to spray it. I don't like brushing as it gets really streaky. but there are sprays for that.
Mike

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 21

I just did this for my lego cake, I used my Iron. Set the stream and put it near the fondant -- it makes the surface kind of wet-looking. It will also be very tacky to the touch, so be careful to let it set.

CWIL Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 21

Okay, so I won't spray with Pam. I was a little leary of this as well. Cakewhiz, did painting on the vodka and corn syrup leave streaks/brush marks? How long did it take to dry? Mike, I'm a little concerned that some of my details which are made of gumpaste and "glued on" with piping gel may come loose with the steam? What do you think?

Thanks so much guys - you're AWESOME!!!

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 21

Painting on vodka/corn syrup left no streaks and it was dry in 24 hours and was not sticky. I painted them on roosters that were put onto a cake and it gave the roosters a high gloss shine. If you want a photo of my finished cake ....email me at [email protected]

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 21

I never get streaks when I paint with vodka and gel colors. I know some people say that they do, but personally it just doesn't happen. I use artists paintbrushes rather than the ones that Wilton makes, maybe that's why.

CWIL Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 21

Texas Rose, I definitely think that you're right about using a good quality brush!! Thanks again guys. I'll let you know what I end up trying and how it turned out. These are all such good ideas, I don't know which one to do!!!

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:45pm
post #11 of 21

You can try different ideas on a scrap of fondant. That's how I test things...roll out some of the leftover fondant and then use the different methods on the different areas and wait a few hours to see what looks the best when it dries. When you see them all side by side it's really easy to tell what you want to do for the particular cake you're working on, without having to test them on the actual cake.

kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #12 of 21

If you wanted to- you can look in my posts on the 2nd page there's a few pages about "how do you make fondant shiny". Hope this helps!

CWIL Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 21

Great idea Texas Rose - that's exactly what I'll do!

CWIL Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 21

Kitcae - what posts are you talking about? How do I find this?

kitcae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitcae Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 21

CWIL- Just go to my profile, click "find all posts by kitcae" and go to the 3rd page. Then click on a thread called "how do you make fondant shiny". It has 20 posts in it.

CWIL Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks Kitcae.

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:47pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

Working on a red race car cake and the fondant is very dull looking. what are your suggestions? What have you had success with?

Thanks guys!!!

Hi, I use corn syrup or Glucose (as called in Australia) and vodka. Half / half split. Works great.

Here is an example of a red car I did.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1418290.html

Good luck,

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:02pm
post #18 of 21

Can you paint it with something besides vodka. No alcohol in this house, but I'm trying to get something shiny...

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:08pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjskid

Can you paint it with something besides vodka. No alcohol in this house, but I'm trying to get something shiny...

We can purchase something in Australia which is a leaf gloss. It works well but is very expensive and only comes in a little bottle. I have used that before but you need a couple of coats to make it as shiny as the glucose and vodka.

I don't know what else you could use other than vodka icon_confused.gif

Hopefully another cc'er will come up with a brilliant idea for you.

Good luck,

Josie_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Josie_girl Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:23pm
post #20 of 21

Clear vanilla extract might work in place of the vodka but a cheap bottle of vodka would probably be less expensive. LOL.

CWIL Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #21 of 21

I used the 50/50 split of vodka and corn syrup and it worked amazing! I didn't have any brush streaks and it dried in just a few hours. Maybe you could use lemon juice in place of the vodka. I've used lemon juice before mixed with dusts to paint flowers. Don't know, but may be worth a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%