How Is Fresh Fruit Usually Incorporated Into Fillings?

Baking By michgowell Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 11:16pm by confectionsofahousewife

michgowell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 4

How is fresh fruit usually incorporated into fillings? I have a great raspberry buttercream recipe, but I want to incorporate fresh raspberries in/on it for the filling. I am not sure how I should do it. I am thinking maybe mixing them with a little sugar to get them to break down a little and get syrupy and lay them over the buttercream or should I just add them in fresh? What do you suggest?

THANKS!!
Michelle

3 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 4

I have never used rasberrys but i have done strawberrys, all i do is mash them up you can use a blender as well , but if you want chunks of the fruit to be seen when you cut into it i would mash them a little then drain what juice you can off , and i usally have bc already on top of the cakes, and i spoon the fruit onto the BC make sure you dont get it on the edges then pipe a dam around the edges so it wont leak , Hope this helps, make sure you get all the juice off the berries before putting on top of the cake

egensinnig Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

I mash or finely slice fresh fruit or berries and mix tehm with ganache, whipped cream or a nice custard. You almost can't go wrong when using fresh fruit/berries as long as you get the filling firm and stable enough.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 4

I have done this two ways (only with strawberries, not raspberries). Either way, I cut them up and let them sit for a while with some sugar on them. I have found that this helps bring out their flavor. Otherwise, the fruit flavor can be lost in the cake. I then either puree the strawberries and add them directly to my buttercream for a strawberry filling or lay the slices directly on the cake, drizzle with a little of the syrup that comes from sitting in sugar, and then add buttercream on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%