Help! What Should Be My Time Frame?

Decorating By MaryJoJo Updated 23 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm by milkmaid42

MaryJoJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryJoJo Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi!
I love this website thumbs_up.gif It is so useful and everyone seems to be very helpful!!

I've baked cakes before, but never one of this size and with fondant!
My cakes are going to be a 10" choc w/choc bc filling and the top is a 6" white w/white bc strawberry flavored filling.

My cake is for this Saturday and I'm not sure on what I should do today versus tomorrow!
I thought I would bake the cakes today (Thurs) and press/seal and leave out on counter. I think today is the day I need to make the fondant/gumpast bow? and leave out?
The only fondant other than the bow will be small circles and a few stripes.

Friday I would fill, crumb coat, frost and fondant. I plan to leave the cake out on the counter all night.

OR should I fill on Thursday? Does bc filling need to be pressed like a soft filling?
I don't want to leave anything for Sat just in case I have to fix any problems with the cake.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 8

start the bow now! it needs to be properly dry. i dont like the 50/50 mix, id be inclined to do all gumpaste, but i think it depends what you like to work with.

your plan sounds fine to me, only you might want to make sure you leave time between filling/ crumb coating, and the fondant. it is a good idea to give cakes time to settle, to help prevent any bulge issues.
xx

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

start the bow now! it needs to be properly dry. i dont like the 50/50 mix, id be inclined to do all gumpaste, but i think it depends what you like to work with.

Exactly what I was going to say. Use straight gumpaste and make it today.

I would bake the cakes today, like you were thinking of doing, and then add the filling, wrap it up in plastic wrap (I'm too cheap to use press and seal on anything but cake boards icon_biggrin.gif ) and then tomorrow crumb coat and fondant.

Did you say you're making a white strawberry-flavored filling? What kind of strawberry flavor do you use? I've been searching for a colorless one.

MaryJoJo Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both so much for the information! I made the bow 1/2 fondant/gumpaste and so far they seem to be holding up well. I completed the bow pieces about an hour ago and I have them air drying until tomorrow. They seem to be stiffening icon_biggrin.gif

I'm glad you replied about baking and filling today! I panicked a little when I realized how much I had to do and I have never worked with fondant/gumpaste.

I didn't realize that the strawberry flavoring had red coloring to it!!! Well so much for white filling, it is now pink, but that's okay icon_lol.gif

This is for my daughter's first baby shower and I'm so worried that it won't come out nice! Wish me luck for the final step! I will post a picture when completed.

Again thanks for the help I really really appreciate it!!

CakeVision Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeVision Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 8

Sounds wonderful...she'll love it I'm sure! Don't forget the pics..

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 8

it wont help you guys, since im in the uk, i can get clear strawberry flavouring, so im sure there will be some in the states too.
good luck with the cake!
xx

MaryJoJo Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 8

Sorry I took so long to post..........been busy. I posted my picture for the baby shower cake I made for my daughters shower. You can see it at: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1523955.html . Many thanks to my niece in Texas for her wonderful advice icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

You can get a colorless strawberry flavoring from Earlene's Cakes on line. www.earlenescakes . com
Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%