A Bake Sale For Charity.. Whats Your Best Selling/favorites?

Baking By CarrieBear Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm by CarrieBear

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

I want to make a few different flavor cupcakes for a bakesale at work in a couple weeks. Its to raise money for christmas presents for families in need.

Im trying to decide what flavors I should do, and wondering what peoples best sellers or favorites are out there?

I didnt really want to to the old plain chocolate and vanillla, wanted something more unconventional.
I ususally do WASC cakes/cupcakes and have made many different flavors but didnt want to get too crazy incase people dont want too unusual of flavors.

any ideas opinions welcome! icon_smile.gif

~Carrie

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 5

white chocolate raspberrry (add melted, cooled white choc. and raspberry extract)
choc. cream cheese (you marble cheesecake batter w/ the choc. batter, soooo good)
Chocolate peanut butter swirl (choc. cake marbled w/ peanut b. cake)
choc. cupcake w/ mini reese's cup or snickers in the center, YUM

CarrieBear Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 5

ooooooh love it ! thanks!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 5

I just helped out with a charity bake sale at church. It did very well, they sold a little less than $500.

I decided to make some gluten free and sugar free items to test out this time. We have a lot of elderly people in our church and they are always asking for sugar free items; I always feel so badly when I have to tell them we don't have anything. I also know a lot of people who have kids that are gluten free. They went over very well (sold out).

For the gluten free I used the Betty Crocker gluten free mixes; they're expensive but I priced accordingly, and nobody complained about the price. I think people that have to do gluten free are used to the increased cost. They were very happy to be able to gt something at a bake sale. I used the brownie mix and the yellow cake and baked both as cupcakes. Did not frost the brownies. I made a basic buttercream for the cupcakes. Left it white because I did not know if the gel coloring I have is GF. I usually make Indy's, but the Dream Whip is not labeled as GF, and there are mixed reactions on the web. Do not use Baker's Joy spray either.

If you do gluten free, make sure you clean every thing VERY well, including the mixer (you don't want any stray granules of flour falling into the gluten free cupcakes. don't use stone ware to bake in. Also, I have heard that not all flavoring are gluten free, so I bought McCormick because it as labeled as GF.

I also made my favorite peanut butter cookies, which happen to not have any flour (just sugar, peanut butter and egg whites). I made a regular version and labeled them GF, then made a batch with Splenda and natural peanut butter (ingredients were peanuts only) and labeled those as sugar free.

Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
from the book "Don't eat Your Heart Out"

4 egg whites
2 cups peanut butter
1 + 2/3 cups granulated sugar

preheat oven to 325 deg F

Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.

Combine peanut butter & sugar, beat until fluffy.

Fold in egg whites to the peanut butter.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten slightly with prongs of fork.

Bake for 20 minutes.

Let cool only about 1 minute. Remove to racks to cool. The cookies will look very mushy when taking off the cookie sheet. They will get crispy as they cool. Wipe off the edge of spatula before taking each cookie off the sheet.

(This last time I made them I forgot about taking them off the sheets right away and let them cool on the sheets (doing too many things at once) they were fine and I was able to just life them off the parchment at that point.)

CarrieBear Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

wow great info thanks for sharing!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%