Small Cake With Weird Combo

Decorating By MammaG Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm by colombean

MammaG Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 10

i know this is a weird request, but it's actually my own. I'm wanting to make a cake for someone next month that is a smaller cake (maybe 8in) and somehow incorporate Disney, Aggies and doctor because those are all his favorite things. I don't know that there's a way to do it, though, on such a small cake. Any ideas? I'm a newbie, so I can't get too wild yet LOL

9 replies
emrldsky Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 10

Have you worked with fondant before? You can easily make a stethoscope to represent the doctor with fondant. Also, Aggies as in Texas A & M? Football or another sport? You can try to make a fondant ball for whichever sport.

Disney is tricky though. Does his name begin with a D? lol You can try to find the Disney font and write his name that way. *shrug*

Good luck!

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 10

I think it can be done, especially if it's a nice tall cake...a 4" tall cake gives you lots of room to play with on the sides.

I would do the A&M logo on the side of the cake at the front, then a caduceus on one side of that and a doctor's bag on the other. Then download a Disney font and write your message (assuming it's a birthday cake) in it, print it out and trace it on the cake, then pipe over it, or put a piece of waxed paper over it and pipe royal icing on it, let harden and stick it on the cake.

Here is a disney font:

For the logo and the caduceus and maybe a couple of disney logos, you could have an edible image printed...some people have said that Walmart will print edible images for $6 a sheet...then just put the different things on that way.

It would be a really busy cake but since you and the person you're making it for would know the meaning of all of it, it would be pretty neat.

Emrldsky has a great idea about the stethoscope...even if you haven't worked with fondant (or gumpaste, I'd use gumpaste), you should give it a try. It would look awesome draped over the cake...make the end pieces and let them dry hard, then when you make the actual cake, make the tube that connects them, lay it across the cake and then stick on the end pieces.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 10

If you're not selling the cake, perhaps you could have Mickey (or some other Disney character) dressed as a doctor.

snocilla Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 10

Have you done color flow before? You could make a color flow of one of these -
And stand it up next to the Aggie logo

Are you referring to Texas or NC A&T?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 10

Sorry, I don't know what Aggies are, but if it has something to do with football, then perhaps make a football field with Mickey as a player fallen over and Goofy dressed as a doctor 'helping' Mickey.

You could also make the cake itself in the shape of Mickey's head.

Here are some Disney themed cakes to get inspiration from.

Tweedie Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 10

Or a Disney character, dressed in team jersey with doctor bag and/or stethoscope.

terrijproductions Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 10

I like Barbaranne's idea of a Disney character dressed as a Dr.

I'm also a newbie and have found that working with fondant and gumpaste is fairly simple and very fun! Good luck!

MammaG Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 10

Actually fondant and gumpaste is all I've worked with because it's so easy and clean. I like the idea of Mickey dressed like a dr, and I like the idea of the cake shaped like Mickey. Aggies are Texas A & M, but the football wouldn't go with it. He went there, and Aggies are die hard forever. I may take that out and stick with the dr Mickey. I also really like the stethoscope draping over the cake. These are all great ideas! Thanks so much.

colombean Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

dress Mickey up as a doctor and minnie as a nurse

Quote by @%username% on %date%