Marine Birthday Cake...its A Big Deal!

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm by ddaigle

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to make a cake for a birthday that feeds 40 people this Friday. Yesterday, I was informed that it is a birthday party for the Marines. It has to be a square cake with the circle emblem in the middle, and has to feed forty without the emblem being cut. Apparently, there is a huge ceremony that revolves around the cake being cut with a sword, and the pieces handed out in order. It sure would have been nice to know all of this before I bake a big round cake. Uhg...

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 6

Well, not sure what your question is...........but if I were you I'd probably make a 12" square (according to my chart it serves 70) that way you know you have all the servings around the emblem (gives you more leeway to make the emblem good sized) might bee cool to lay a fondant U.S. flag over one corner too, I always love those cakes!

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 6

No questions, as much as suggestions. 12" sounds great. I was looking at 16", but it seemed like over kill.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 6

You're making a double layered cake right? Just making sure, because that's what I assumed when I said how many it will serve!

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 6

I had an idea for the emblem... maybe do a FBCT on a gumpaste plaque that could maybe stand on the cake? That way it makes it very unique and you wont have to worry about it being cut. I also like the idea of the flag over the corner... i tried to do one for my AF cake and it just wouldnt drape right so it went bye bye! Good luck and cant wait to see it!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 6

I am doing a Marine cake this weekend. It will be very ceremonial.....and not party-like with all the cool fluff that a normal cake would get. It will be a sheet cake with the Marine emblem in the center as an edible image. All of the decorating design through buttercream drapes/swags and multiple borders and side scrolls with be the only other deco. With the right tips (and not using a shell border)....sheet cakes can turn out fancy shmancy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%