Black Royal Icing

Decorating By CVB Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm by CVB

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:12am
post #1 of 11

Hi,

Is there any secret to creating black royal icing? I want to use it for cake stenciling.

Thanks!
Jennifer

10 replies
bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:27am
post #2 of 11

Use Americolor black coloring, also dont start with white icing...tint your icing another color first-doesnt matter what color-blue, brown, green. Then start adding the black to that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:54am
post #3 of 11

I also agree with using Americolor's super black. I actually start with white though. Their black is so strong that it doesn't take much to turn my white into black. And it's in a nice squeeze bottle too.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 11

I added a cocoa powder/water mixture to the royal icing first so then it doens't take as much black to reach a true color.

brgrassmyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brgrassmyer Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with PinkLisa. You can even add your black gel color to your water when you are making the RI, get it mixed then add the coca. This also takes some time as the black color will develop. Add a little gel color,mix, cover, let sit for awhile, repeat if needed. Very easy.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 11

Because royal icing made with lots of color is oftentimes brittle, start with an extra Tbsp of meringue powder in your RI. I use both Americolors and Chefmaster super black directly in white RI with excellent results.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 11

When I need black royal icing, I substitute the water for the RI recipe with black airbrush color. Works great with red too.

Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #8 of 11

Seems rather expensive to do it that way. When I make a 1-lb batch of RI, I use 5 Tbsp plus 1 tsp of water.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:26am
post #9 of 11

You don't have to make a whole recipe of black royal icing if you don't need that much. I make smaller batches all the time. Airbrush color isn't that expensive. Sure beats using a whole container of paste color to make black.

Cakepro Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:32am
post #10 of 11

True, true...but thankfully with Americolor and Chefmaster, it's more along the lines of teaspoon of color vs a whole jar of that inferior Wilton color. icon_smile.gif

CVB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CVB Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all of your help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%