How To Make Buttercream Shimmer???

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 12:38pm by Texas_Rose

Iloveweddings Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:19am
post #1 of 6

Hi. How do I make buttercream icing shimmer? Can it be done? I know how to make fondant shimmer, but am not sure about buttercream. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:53am
post #2 of 6

If it's crusting type maybe dust(lightly) with a soft brush like you would with fondant. If it's non crusting like imbc, you might try mixing the luster dust into the actual frosting before you frost, never tried it but it may work, or put it in the fridge until it's hardened then dust, but the condensation may work against you when you try to bring it to room temp. Maybe some experimentation is in order, good luck!

solascakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:29am
post #3 of 6

You can use the PME Edible Lustre Air Brush Colours

Tee-Y Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:56am
post #4 of 6

Airbrushing with luster colours will give you the best results.

Iloveweddings Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 10:27am
post #5 of 6

Hi. Thanks for all your replies. I do not have an airbrush icon_sad.gif . I think the
spray sounds like my best bet if I can get my hands on it by this weekend.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 6

As long as you use a crusting buttercream, let it crust well and then brush on luster dust or pearl dust with a soft brush...maybe a blush brush that's never been used for makeup. If you are using Wilton dusts, the white dust gives the best result. Silver will make white icing just look grubby, and gold is all right but not as dramatic as the white. It comes out looking very sparkly and pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%