Bored........having Cake Withdrawals. Any Ides?

Decorating By lthiele Updated 9 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm by DakotaDesigns

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:39am
post #1 of 24

Hi all, sitting looking at CC is not filling my creative need any more, I need more orders! icon_cry.gificon_twisted.gificon_cry.gif

I have just started selling cakes and been getting a few orders here and there. I don't have the money to do big advertising or anything but am not sure how to go about getting my name out there.

I have saved so many gorgeous cake pics and want to get in there and give some a go, can only spend a certain amount out of the grocery money each week though on cake supplies! Arrrrgggghhh frustrated!

23 replies
madgeowens Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:42am
post #2 of 24

GET SOME DUMMIES TO PRACTICE ON......styrofoam, not people icon_smile.gif

whit6 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:46am
post #3 of 24

I know how you feel. I will have a month straight just packed with cake orders, then go a month where im bored to tears! In that time I get so many ideas and it just drives me nuts. As far as advertising, Im just starting out so mine is all word of mouth, I have a pretty good cliental but like I said I have my busy times and my slow times. Maybe you could send out fliers of your info or even put together an email with pictures and send it to everyone you know and they can pass it on. Just an idea

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:57am
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:59am
post #5 of 24

Whit - I have been like that too. The 1 week I went away in school holidays, I lost 3 orders for birthdays and I've only had 1 cake since!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:35am
post #6 of 24

They'll all come at once, like the same week! I use cheap (usually betty crocker or pillsbury) mixes when I just want to practice. They're usually less than a buck and way cheaper than foam and I can give them to my very appreciative friends and family afterwardicon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:01am
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

HAHAHA! Stand still, honey, while I put some of this fondant on you! That's a good one!

Elise87 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:13am
post #8 of 24

I know how you feel, too many designs not enough reasons thumbsdown.gif

Also this is random but lthiele i have seen your avatar many times but didn't really think about it, but i actually stoped and LOOKED icon_eek.gif at it properly this time and just realised what was going on in it, that fish it just too darn cute lol

DakotaDesigns Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:33am
post #9 of 24

I found my cheapest advertisement is by occasionally donating a cake by suprise for an occasion and slipping in some business cards. You can go to Office Depot if you have one in your area and get 100 for $20 and they'll design it for you with you right there. I'll occasionally take one in to work or if my friends are getting together for dinner and a movie I'll bring one to dinner (that way the other guests in the restaraunt ask who made it!). Ultimately, $20 for 100 business cards has generated so much word of mouth business for me I'm sleeping 2-4 hours a night with working a full time day job. Just make sure that you tell them when you give them your card that they are free to pass that number to as many friends and family as they know!

In the meantime, I agree, get some dummies to stand around and hold the fondant for ya icon_wink.gif

Tee-Y Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:39am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDesigns

I found my cheapest advertisement is by occasionally donating a cake by suprise for an occasion and slipping in some business cards. icon_wink.gif

Ditto to that thumbs_up.gif .That's what I do.

N.B Ithiele is that fish a shark wannabe?? Big dreams,big dreams icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:47am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

They'll all come at once, like the same week! I use cheap (usually betty crocker or pillsbury) mixes when I just want to practice. They're usually less than a buck and way cheaper than foam and I can give them to my very appreciative friends and family afterwardicon_smile.gif

I WISH!! I use Betty Crocker Devils Food for my choc cake (extended box mix) and it's close to $5 is Aust! It's one of our most expensive mixes.

The cakes I have sold so far have pretty much just been for cost of ingredients + a tiny bit, but sssshhhhh, dont want my butt whipped by _Jamie_ or La Bella!! (Yes I have been paying attn!) icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Also this is random but lthiele i have seen your avatar many times but didn't really think about it, but i actually stoped and LOOKED at it properly this time and just realised what was going on in it, that fish it just too darn cute lol

Thanks Elise, he pretty much explains how I feel on CC "A little fish in a big pond!" Fake it till ya make it, kinda thing! icon_lol.gif

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:49am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Quote:

I found my cheapest advertisement is by occasionally donating a cake by suprise for an occasion and slipping in some business cards. icon_wink.gif

N.B Ithiele is that fish a shark wannabe?? Big dreams,big dreams icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You got it Tee-Y! icon_lol.gif

Tee-Y Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:18am
post #13 of 24
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Quote:

You got it Tee-Y! icon_lol.gif

ROFLMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif !!!!!!!

zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:34am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

I know how you feel, too many designs not enough reasons thumbsdown.gif

Also this is random but lthiele i have seen your avatar many times but didn't really think about it, but i actually stoped and LOOKED icon_eek.gif at it properly this time and just realised what was going on in it, that fish it just too darn cute lol

That just go to show we don't always see what is right there, I didn't see it either.

j_arney Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 24

I've just started to try selling mine, and I was surprised at how many orders i got from friends right off the bat. However, that will only last for so long. I made up some cheap business cards on OfficeDepot.com that I'm going to put out whenever I deliver a cake. That way I'm spending very little and will hopefully get 1 or 2 more orders out of each cake. This past weekend I delivered a cake for a friend's party. One of her other guests works for the county and must book birthday parties at the local parks or something. She said they only have one baker to recommend and they don't like her much. So she grabbed my card and will now recommend me as well. You just have to get your name out there! Good luck!!

AverageMom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 24

I'm in the same boat....no cakes needed in the next few weeks, but I have needs!! So I guess it's time to make cake for my students. Teenagers are always willbing to eat.

FloraFlora Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 24

Awww.. so many of us on the same boat.

Had a 3-cake week 2 weeks ago. Now I have nothing to do till end of the month, which is birthday cake for my own god daughter. And the picky little one hates fondant.

DakotaDesigns Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraFlora

Awww.. so many of us on the same boat.

Had a 3-cake week 2 weeks ago. Now I have nothing to do till end of the month, which is birthday cake for my own god daughter. And the picky little one hates fondant.

I dread the idea of not using fondant. Although I have a quite the divided clientele in that around half love the taste of fondant, half hate it. usually though about 75% of my orders are for fondant because ultimately it is the medium I can get the sharpest cleanest looks from!

lthiele Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 24

I like using fondant much more as well. I have NOT mastered smooth buttercream yet! icon_mad.gif I usually use ganache under fondant though and I think most people leave the fondant on the plate!

I really want to try MMF, but haven't got a KA yet. I saw a vid on youtube with a girl who made it by hand, it looked REALLY messy!

I tried my first Gingerbread House earlier this week and the roof caved in, so might try again today!

Have a great day!

DakotaDesigns Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:

I really want to try MMF, but haven't got a KA yet. I saw a vid on youtube with a girl who made it by hand, it looked REALLY messy

Oh it's so easy. I know exactly which video that is that your talking about!!!! I am dying to get my new camera so I can put one up that's waaaaay easier! I make all my fondant by hand, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I am still using a Hamilton Beach $10 hand mixer that's about 6 years old!!!!

It's best to melt the marshmallows in the bowl then gradually add the powdered sugar. I usually do most of the kneading by way of spoon in the bowl. You'll find it doesn't take long at all to get a good dough going with it. Once it's more of a dough than a mess, I turn it out of the bowl onto my surface. I usually line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put some powdered sugar on there to knead it in. It's much easier and the mess is contained to a mobile object that you can easily wash off in the sink after you've discarded the majority of the mess that's left on the waxed paper.

Don't be afraid to not try it just because you don't have the mixer. You'll find it's not as difficult as it looks icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

lthiele Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #21 of 24

That's great DakotaDesigns - thanks heaps! I'll look forward to seeing your vid when you post it! When I saw that girl tip all that stuff onto her table I just shook my head thinking "That aint happenin' in my house!" icon_lol.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

FloraFlora Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 8:17pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:

Oh it's so easy. I know exactly which video that is that your talking about!!!! I am dying to get my new camera so I can put one up that's waaaaay easier! I make all my fondant by hand, I'm almost ashamed to admit that I am still using a Hamilton Beach $10 hand mixer that's about 6 years old!!!!

It's best to melt the marshmallows in the bowl then gradually add the powdered sugar. I usually do most of the kneading by way of spoon in the bowl. You'll find it doesn't take long at all to get a good dough going with it. Once it's more of a dough than a mess, I turn it out of the bowl onto my surface. I usually line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put some powdered sugar on there to knead it in. It's much easier and the mess is contained to a mobile object that you can easily wash off in the sink after you've discarded the majority of the mess that's left on the waxed paper.

Don't be afraid to not try it just because you don't have the mixer. You'll find it's not as difficult as it looks icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

I just got a KA a couple of weeks ago. But I am still so used to use my 8 year old Philip hand mixer, too icon_smile.gif

I also make my MMF by hand. I use a large glass bowl to melt marshmallows in the microwave, then gradually add powdered sugar, eventually knead it inside the bowl, which will actually start to clean the marshmallows stuck on the glass. This way I have very little mess to clean up in the end.

lthiele Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 10:39am
post #23 of 24

Well thanks DakotaDesigns and Flora, I just made my first batch of MMF! It looks good and tastes good, so fingers crossed it rolls out in the morning and plays nice! I wouldn't have tried it without your help, so thank you!

DakotaDesigns Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:30pm
post #24 of 24

Yay you did it! Lol, your weldcome. I had the same thoughts when I saw that video. I showed my fiance the video and he lauged til he hit the floor and then told me he'd kill me if I did that. And I'm not sure if you're aware, but if it's a little to stiff to roll it out, put it in the microwave for like 5-10 second incriments to soften it up a bit icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%