Scrollwork Question

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 5:03am by zdebssweetsj

SweetPea0613 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 7

So I'm doing a cake all fondant with scrollwork on each tier. The bride wants the size of the scrollwork to alternate with each tier, small, large, small ,large etc.

My questions are:

Do I use buttercream or royal icing for the scrolls?

Does anyone have any pictures of different sized scrollwork?

Are the "C" scrolls my best bet or should I try something different??(They seem to be easier to do, I was thinking on two tiers to do small "C" scrolls but I'm not sure how to do the other tiers with the larger scrolls)

I'm just stressing because I've only done scrolls once and I didn't really like them, and I want this cake to be beautiful but I have my doubts.

Sorry if this sounds confusing...


6 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 7


Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:24am
post #3 of 7

I would use royal icing on fondant. I think the buttercream might have a hard time sticking.

DebBTX Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:26am
post #4 of 7

I would use Royal Icing.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 7

Okay that's one question out of the way...thanks so much guys!

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 7

I would use royal, if you're unsure of your scroll technique, have you thought about trying a pattern press? Most Michaels at sell the Wilton ones. Worth checking out at least. Good luckicon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:03am
post #7 of 7

Have you thought about using a stencil, I've never tried them but they look beautiful. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%