Pasta Cutter For Fondant Strips?

Decorating By metria Updated 7 Nov 2009 , 2:33am by kakeladi

metria Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 10

I'm thinking about buying the pasta attachments for my KA. Can you use the cutter attachments for making fondant strips/ribbons? Or should I skip getting the set and only get the roller?

9 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 10

I don't have the pasta attachment for my KA but I have a portable pasta machine that clamps on the tabletop. I use all the different cutting blades for fondant and gumpaste, it works great so I don't see why the KA attachment wouldn't work just as well, maybe better since you don't have to hand crank it.

anamado Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 10

I, just like pattycakesnj, have a portable one. I'd also get the attachment. You can use it both to fondant and pasta! In your KA you make very easily and quickly the pasta, so why not get the complete set? icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:36am
post #4 of 10

I have a tabletop model as well as the KA pasta roller attachment, and while I use the tabletop model more, I do like the KA attachment. The KA attachment really powers through the fondant and gumpaste! And yes, I have made fondant strips using the fettuccine cutter...it works great!

doodledo Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 10

I have the KA pasta maker and I have only put fondant through it once and it just ripped and tore. Was it to dry for the machine? If I use a rolling pin it rolls out beautifully. Any ideas?

anamado Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodledo

I have the KA pasta maker and I have only put fondant through it once and it just ripped and tore. Was it to dry for the machine? If I use a rolling pin it rolls out beautifully. Any ideas?

You have to dust the fondant with icing sugar, then pass it through the pasta machine in nº 1 position. If you see that it's not looking very well, just pass it again through it, and if needed again.
Only then you pass it through position nº2, then 3, 4... You can never skip a position. It's the same with pasta.
I really love using it! I am only sorry it's not large enough to cover a hole cake icon_smile.gif

doodledo Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 1:50am
post #7 of 10

I had corn startch on mine, but I might not of had enough on. Will have to try it again.
Thanks

jlynnw Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #8 of 10

I love my feticini cutter on my KA! I really don't know what or how I would have done some of my cakes without it. I sometimes coat the rollers with a touch of crisco when rolling out. You can NOT paint the crisco strips because the oil prevents anything from adhering.

helsbels Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 10

I was going to get the KA one but it was kinda pricey. I found the table top one for about 16 dollars at TJ Maxx so I went on the cheap to start. icon_smile.gif it works pretty good.

kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%