Alternative To Paypal In Canada?

Business By -Tubbs Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm by -Tubbs

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 7

Basic PayPal is $35 per month and a percentage (around 3%) per transaction. I think this is a lot for me, as I'm starting out, and some months don't have much business. I would, however, really like to start accepting credit cards, as I think it would make life easier for my customers, and less stressful for me.

Does anyone use a service which is as good as PayPal (although I often hear debated that the service isn't that good after all...)? In the US there are a bunch of alternatives, but I've yet to find one here.

Thanks for any pointers.

6 replies
-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 7

Shameless bump. icon_biggrin.gif

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

There is Google Checkout - I don't use it, but I think a few people on CC use it and are happy with it. Here is the link if you are interested:

http://checkout.google.com/seller/?gsessionid=Vw8lanwjiNQ

-Tubbs Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I did look into that site, but so far it seems it's for consumers rather than merchants. Very frustrating!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 7

That's interesting - I hadn't really looked into the Google Checkout (just kept the link in case I ever needed it), but I do use Paypal and am happy with it. I have a business account (which is free to get) - I only pay the 3% per transaction, not a monthly fee, and find it very worthwhile. Clients have used my services over others because I am able to take credit cards.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 7

i'm using an online terminal thru my bank, it's new....i think other banks would offer it too.

15 bucks a month...3 percent per...i love it.

-Tubbs Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks again, people.

Littlecake, I didn't even think to talk to my bank. I will do that on Monday.

Marmalade, where did you sign up for Paypal? When I looked it said for small businesses doing less than $3k/month (that would be me, unfortunately) it was $35 a month + a 3.1% transaction fee + $0.30 per transaction, so for a $100 transaction, you're paying $3.40, plus the $35 monthly fee. Doesn't that sound a lot? Maybe I'm out of touch...

Edited to add: I guess you must do it through the email service rather than having a virtual terminal. That would work for me, no fee - like you say, just the percentage and the 0.30. I think I'll go that way...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%