Question About Almond Bark

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 2:46am by -K8memphis

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 11

Can I 'crumb coat' with straight melted almond bark for a more stable carved 3-d cake ...or is it not a good idea for some reason? I know some ice or crumb coat with ganache but I am making a cake for someone who doesn't like icing and so I'm trying to come up with the thinnist form of cake glue/sealer that I can use and that will really hold together a tall wall of layered cake really well.

10 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have an answer, but I'm intrigued by your question so I'm hoping you get an answer.
Here's a bump.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 11

maybe try it on a cupcake and see how it does and then you won't rein your cake if it doesn't. Let us know, hummm sounds good. HTH

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #4 of 11

I'm not sure either. Why don't you just crumbcoat with a thin layer of thickened ganache? If you want it to be really firm and strong, use a 3:1 ratio for semi sweet instead of the 2:1.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:43am
post #5 of 11

You can use melted Nestle white chocolate morsels...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup heavy cream...try it thinned down or wait till it firms a bit. It's completely spreadable and easy to work with.

Also, It tastes so much better than almond bark...if you mean the big block that Wal-Mart sells...that one is sooo sweet and tastes very artificial, not at all like chocolate, in my opinion.

casmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:59am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

You can use melted Nestle white chocolate morsels...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup heavy cream...try it thinned down or wait till it firms a bit. It's completely spreadable and easy to work with.

Also, It tastes so much better than almond bark...if you mean the big block that Wal-Mart sells...that one is sooo sweet and tastes very artificial, not at all like chocolate, in my opinion.

hmm... i never thought of that.. interesting.. thanks for the idea..

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:39am
post #7 of 11

I doubt you'll be able to use almond bark as icing once the choc starts to set you won't be able to smooth it.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11

You're welcome, casmom...the way you would smooth it by the way, is with the hot knife method.

Boil water, dip your spatula in for a few seconds, dry it off quickly and put it on your chocolate surface to smooth.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 11

I've never made ganache out of almond bark but I do use it for my candy clay modeling 'chocolate'.

But maybe try subing the almond bark in FlourPots ganache and see how that does.

By itself --no. But I mean you could use the candy clay too.

joaaaann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joaaaann Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 11

Hmmm...thanks for the input. I like the Nestle idea. I'll look into the idea of subbing flourpots ganache with almond bark too, if I can find it. I'll let you know how this turns out in a couple days.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #11 of 11

Well definitely use the real chocolate for ganache--I somehow thought you already had the almond bark. I keep it on hand so I just figured you already had it. Duh Kate.

I would get the real chocolate for the ganache myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%