Question About Almond Bark

Decorating By joaaaann Updated 6 Nov 2009 , 2:46am by -K8memphis

joaaaann Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 11

Can I 'crumb coat' with straight melted almond bark for a more stable carved 3-d cake ...or is it not a good idea for some reason? I know some ice or crumb coat with ganache but I am making a cake for someone who doesn't like icing and so I'm trying to come up with the thinnist form of cake glue/sealer that I can use and that will really hold together a tall wall of layered cake really well.

10 replies
poohsmomma Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 11

I don't have an answer, but I'm intrigued by your question so I'm hoping you get an answer.
Here's a bump.

tatorchip Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 11

maybe try it on a cupcake and see how it does and then you won't rein your cake if it doesn't. Let us know, hummm sounds good. HTH

Rylan Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:10am
post #4 of 11

I'm not sure either. Why don't you just crumbcoat with a thin layer of thickened ganache? If you want it to be really firm and strong, use a 3:1 ratio for semi sweet instead of the 2:1.

FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:43am
post #5 of 11

You can use melted Nestle white chocolate morsels...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup heavy cream...try it thinned down or wait till it firms a bit. It's completely spreadable and easy to work with.

Also, It tastes so much better than almond bark...if you mean the big block that Wal-Mart sells...that one is sooo sweet and tastes very artificial, not at all like chocolate, in my opinion.

casmom Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:59am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

You can use melted Nestle white chocolate morsels...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup heavy cream...try it thinned down or wait till it firms a bit. It's completely spreadable and easy to work with.

Also, It tastes so much better than almond bark...if you mean the big block that Wal-Mart sells...that one is sooo sweet and tastes very artificial, not at all like chocolate, in my opinion.

hmm... i never thought of that.. interesting.. thanks for the idea..

zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:39am
post #7 of 11

I doubt you'll be able to use almond bark as icing once the choc starts to set you won't be able to smooth it.

FlourPots Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 11

You're welcome, casmom...the way you would smooth it by the way, is with the hot knife method.

Boil water, dip your spatula in for a few seconds, dry it off quickly and put it on your chocolate surface to smooth.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 11

I've never made ganache out of almond bark but I do use it for my candy clay modeling 'chocolate'.

But maybe try subing the almond bark in FlourPots ganache and see how that does.

By itself --no. But I mean you could use the candy clay too.

joaaaann Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 11

Hmmm...thanks for the input. I like the Nestle idea. I'll look into the idea of subbing flourpots ganache with almond bark too, if I can find it. I'll let you know how this turns out in a couple days.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 2:46am
post #11 of 11

Well definitely use the real chocolate for ganache--I somehow thought you already had the almond bark. I keep it on hand so I just figured you already had it. Duh Kate.

I would get the real chocolate for the ganache myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%