Cake Circle And Cake Plates - Please Help!!

Decorating By richnangela Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm by richnangela

richnangela Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I have my first real cake client this Saturday. She wants the cake to look the picture. She bought fake flowers so all I have to is bake the cakes, frost them, and to do the details work on the sides/bottom. My question is how do I do that without have the cake circles showing? I'm doing a 6 inch, an 8 inch, and a 10 inch. But the cake circles stick out 1-2 inches beyond the cake. But I don't think she's going to be happy having cakeboard that people can see. On top of never doing this before, I am fighting the flu, so if you have any help, I'd love to hear it!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 6

Use smaller circles or cut down the ones you have. I cut my own circles from foamcore and measure them by tracing the bottom of the cake pan and cutting just inside the circle, but I do fondant so I want my cake circles to be exactly the same size as my cake so they don't show. Since you're doing buttercream and it has that shell border, you will want your cake boards a tiny bit larger than the cake so you have room for the border.

richnangela Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

Would I still cover the cake board in foil so that the cardboard side doesn't show? I mean obviously I would be covering as much of it as I can with the border, but if there was a little showing, foil would be better to see than cardboard right?

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, foil would be good, or white fanci-foil if you have a cake decorating supply shop near you. I know someone who uses the plastic party tablecloths (you know, the dollar store kind) and that seems like an economical choice...just cut a bigger circle than you need and tape it down all the way around the underside.

And I forgot to mention, if you have the H1N1, the worst part only seems to last about two days, so hopefully you'll be feeling a bit better by Friday when you have to do the bulk of the work.

Adevag Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 6

I would definitely use some sort of foil for the cake boards. You don't want them to get greasy from the cake and you don't want the cake to taste like card board!

richnangela Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 6

Are there any negatives to icing/decorating the cakes directly on the cake plates?

Quote by @%username% on %date%