Organization Help!

Business By chasley101 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm by dstbni

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am beginning to feel overwhelmed! I run a cake business out of my home and I'm trying to get organized. It's the little things that are driving me crazy! It's probably called OCD but who's asking? icon_smile.gif

How do you organize your customer's info. Do you keep files in a filing cabinet for each customer? Do you keep files on your computer? Do you do both? I feel like I have papers coming out of my ears!

With the files do you keep pictures of cakes they have ordered? Do you keep all scratch sheets, etc?

Thank you!!

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 8

Everything I do is in an electronic file on my computer. I rarely print out the actual paperwork.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 8

I keep computer files & paper files. Computer: sketches, order forms, emails, scanned sketches, accountant forms. Paper: order forms (only because my computer has enough powdered sugar in it!), pre-forms for accountants. I know what you mean about all the files!!! Thank goodness for 3 ring binders. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

Cake Boss Software...nuff said!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:07am
post #5 of 8

Computer and a old fashioned file folder. The folders are labled by event date, venue, client name.

In the folder I have a signed contract/ copy of their order details and a picture or sketch, as we reference that when working the cake. (my sis and mom are my assistants) I also have the venue contact information and directions if I need them. When I am done making the cake, I pack up the cake, the file folder and my emergency kit.

chasley101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasley101 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 8

KristyCakes - how do you do your sketches on the computer? do you have a certain program?

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 8

chasley101, oh sorry, I don't have a sketch program. Would be good if I did beause I don't take a lot of time with the sketches... they are just meant to give me (and sometimes the customer) an idea of how the cake will look. I always tell the customer it's a "rough sketch" so I'm free to change it up a bit if I need too... I bought a $30 printer/scanner (back to college prices last year) at Target and just scan them into my computer after I stetch them. It's been a great investment for me!

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 8

If you have Microsoft Office on your computer you may want to try OneNote. It's like a virtual filing cabinet. You can make folders for each client and then add any type of file (scanned pictures, websites, spreadsheets, etc.) I haven't used it that much, but it looks like it could be very useful. I also print out blank calender pages a week at a time on cardstock, attach stick-on tabs, and put them all in a 3-ring binder. Then I use sheet protectors behind each calender page to hold sketches, color and fabric samples, etc. Basically anything that won't scan well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%