Coloring Cookie Dough?

Baking By cindy58 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm by bennett5

cindy58 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 11

I just got a set of these in the mail today:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1401215/?pkey=ccookie-cutters-pancake-molds&cm_src=hero

and on the box they have the prettiest cookies made with red or green dough. I haven't colored dough before, assume you add it to the wet ingredients. Do you need to make the color deeper than what you want it to be, because the flour will lighten the color?

Some experimenting is probably in order.

10 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 11

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing this with us! I think I just might try them this year. However, like you, unless someone comes up with amounts, I'll be experimenting with the colors, too! icon_wink.gif

luv2bake6 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 11

Those are really cool.
I've only tried to color dough once and it didn't work well for me. I tried to make pink cookies with a strawberry extract for the corresponding flavor. The cookies were sort of brownish pink and did not look great at all. Maybe a darker color would work, i don't know.

7yyrt Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:42am
post #4 of 11

You need to bake them only until set, or you'll get that brownish tint. It takes a lot of coloring, like red velvet cake does.
Pastel is easy, you can even use jello powder for that.

luv2bake6 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 11

That's a great idea 7yyrt. Never thought of jello powder. Would you have to adjust the sugar in the recipe or does that even matter?

7yyrt Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 11

It's been a while, but I don't remember adjusting anything when adding Jello. It's easy to tell by tasting the dough. (I always taste, that's saved me a time or two from baking too-salty cookies.)
If you try Koolaid, you get a sweet-tart effect because of the ascorbic acid. Some hate it, others love it.
-
I guess I'll be baking all these again, the grandkids have started arriving.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 11

When I was little, my mother used to bake spritz cookies every Christmas season, some she would dye green or red - the colors came out great when she didn't overbake them! LOL. And at that time, the only dyes available were the liquid type.

bennett5 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 11

I just did a whole mess of halloween cookies in lime green and orange and they came out great. I use AmeriColor Gels which makes it super easy to achieve the color you want, and ditto what the poster above said...bake till just set, dont let them brown at all. Theyll look great youll see. Ill post my pics later.

cindy58 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett5

I just did a whole mess of halloween cookies in lime green and orange and they came out great. I use AmeriColor Gels which makes it super easy to achieve the color you want, and ditto what the poster above said...bake till just set, dont let them brown at all. Theyll look great youll see. Ill post my pics later.

Do you have an idea of how much color you mixed in? Can't wait to see your pics!

Jello sounds kind of interesting too!

jen9936 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 11

I made red hearts for Valentine's Day and I think I just colored the dough after it was mixed. I used Chefmaster Super Red and it didn't take much color to achieve a nice red color.

bennett5 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 11

I didnt have to use a whole lot of color either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%