Poured Fondant Vs Petit Four Icing

Decorating By TotallyBaked Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm by brincess_b

TotallyBaked Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 3

So, I have my first order of petit fours coming up, and I'm going to practice. I've been scouring the site looking for helpful hints, ideas, and recipes. Almost everything I've seen is cutting pound cake and pouring icing over them... Either poured fondant or petit four icing. I haven't found any how-to's on filled petit fours, either icon_surprised.gif( So, from experience, whats the most favored method for icing these little babies? And, is filling them just totally out of the question??? If not, would I do this by filling the entire cake, and then using the cutter to cut out the petit fours? I can tell this is going to be one heck of an experience icon_surprised.gif) Thanks so much, guys!

2 replies
msmeg Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 3

bake in a jelly roll pan and then tort large sections of that and cut with the 1 inch cutter the best way is then to dip into melted chocolate or melted wafers using 1 or 2 T of crisco to keep it slightly soft.

If they really want lots of layers it would be cheaper for them to by the commercial ones. from Sams.

brincess_b Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 3

traditionally, they are thin layers of cake, sandwiched with jam. a thin layer of marzipan goes over the top, then the poured icing. as far as im concerned, poured fondant is petit four icing!

you could fill them, but i think then it would be easier to pour the icing over them, rather than dip them. do not underestimate how much work they are (im sure you saw all the never again posts!), using additional filling will be a lot of extra work, and of course, make it that little bit harder to cut the cakes.

when i did mine, which did turn into mini cakes, rather than proper petit fours, i used the dipping method to ice, which worked fine.

if you go to bakerellas blog, she has a good entry about them, and links to another good how to guide.
there are also videos on you tube, about all kids of petit fours, like marzipan fruits and stuff too, so it takes some searching.

good luck!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%