Imbc - You Converted Me ! But Questions...

Decorating By KKristy Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 1:43am by costumeczar

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, I finally decided to try IMBC and I love it ( I can hear the 'I told you so s from you all!)...but I still have some questions.( I tried to read through all the post on the "all you wanted to know about buttercream', but I faded out after page 19...so sorry I'm sure the answers are there somewhere.)
How long can you keep a cake out with this icing...I know that the hot sugar mixture 'cooks' the egg whites, but really, how long is safe ?
Am I correct in assuming that fondant ( covering the whole cake or accents) can go right on top of this...or are there any problems that I need to know about, besides heat and humidity?

2 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 3

You can keep a cake frosted in IMBC out safely until the entire cake is consumed, as long as the filling is not perishable.

Fondant can be applied right onto the IMBC. Some prefer to chill the cake first to make the icing firm before applying the fondant. You can try it both with and without chilling the cake first to see which way works best for you.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:43am
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

You can keep a cake frosted in IMBC out safely until the entire cake is consumed, as long as the filling is not perishable.

Fondant can be applied right onto the IMBC. Some prefer to chill the cake first to make the icing firm before applying the fondant. You can try it both with and without chilling the cake first to see which way works best for you.

I told you so! (I couldn't resist.)

I still refrigerate IMBC cakes because I just don't trust the perishability of it, but I know that other people leave it out for quite a while. I wouldn't leave it out on the counter for three days, if you know what I mean, I'm sure that the ingredients will probably inhibit the bacterial growth of whatever's in the eggs. but just to be on the safe side I refrigerate the cakes. Once they sit out at room temp for a while the icing softens up and is fine to eat.

Refrigerating them also makes it easier to transport stacked cakes. They won't slide around or shift as much if the icing is cold

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%