Can I Stencil On Imbc?

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 9:42am by zdebssweetsj

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 7

I am going to ice a cake in IMBC, but want to stencil on it. Was planning on covering in fondant to do this, but thought I would ask if it was necessary. I know IMBC will probably firm up on the fridge, but don't want it to get to messy! I have already tinted some RI black, so can I use that to stencil, or do I need to use tinted IMBC? I am worried about bleeding (white base, black stencil design) and getting a clean look.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
sullymel13 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:39am
post #2 of 7

anybody?

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 7

The only good results that I have had was with doing stencils was with doing them on fondant. They really are beautiful then. I would suggest that you practice on something off the cake first if you have never done them so that you can get a feel for it.

You are really going to love doing this!! Good luck and be sure to post photos.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:14am
post #4 of 7

I would imagine if you really chill the cake so it's hard you'd be ok but I don't know about the bleeding... I would ice the back of cake pan or a cake board and give it a try first, that way you're not ruining your cake.

sullymel13 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

thanks for the replies! I did do a test cake, but I used fondant, and didn't have any issues. Maybe I'll just do that, to play it safe. I really want it to look stunning!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 7:45am
post #6 of 7

I would think it would be quite a challenge to stencil on IMBC since it doesn't crust, and so laying down the stencil without marring your icing would be quite difficult, even if it was practically frozen. Would love to hear from anyone whose had any success..?

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 9:42am
post #7 of 7

You might also have a problem with the RI breaking sown because of the butter ciontent of IMBC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%