Lego Batman Critique Please

Decorating By crbarb35 Updated 28 Dec 2012 , 5:58pm by Cherry1313

crbarb35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crbarb35 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

I am a novice and I mean novice cake decorator, I have been doing this for about 2 months with NO training whatsoever. My wife made the actual cake and I made all of the fondant pieces, as she hates fondant.

I made the legos and batman out of RKT's and covered them with fondant. I can't seem to get the fondant smooth over the RKT's.

Please leave your comments and suggestions!

Thank you,

Chris
LL

9 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 10

Great Start!

Tips:
To get RKT smooth crush the cereal into smaller particals
Roll the fondant thicker or do 2 layers or coat the cereal treats in a setting gnache or royal icing or use chocolate clay instead of fondant

Hopefully others that use RKT more frequently than I can add some tips as well

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 10

I think your cake looks awesome!

I put a layer of buttercream all over the RKT and then cover in fondant.

crbarb35 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you both!! I never thought about crushing the RKT's. I will also try rolling the fondant out thicker, then if that is not satisfactory I will try icing them first and then covering them! Thanks again.

terrijproductions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrijproductions Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't tried this, but I'm told that chocolate is the best option for getting rid of the RK bumps because it fills in the cracks and makes a very smooth layer under the fondat. I've used buttercream under the fondant and had decent results.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 10

I think your cake is awesome! I, too, use buttercream on my RKT. I don't crush them & I buy them pre-made. Also, when I apply, I smooth with a fondant smoother vs. my hands.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 10

It's a great cake. The yellow top border kind of draws the eye away from your neat fondant work, but that's the only thing I think I'd change at all.

I've read that you can cover RKT with candy melts to get a smooth finish. I have tried crushing it before and the result does have a smooth surface but it weighs a ton.

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 6 Nov 2009 , 1:10am
post #8 of 10

Definitely agree with TexasRose...your batman and legos are reeeallllyyy good! Can't wait to see what you can do in six months if you just started two months ago. Less on the big bright border next time.

I do a ganache over RKT and I smoosh them together really tight. Makes for a really smooth finish (see the "heel" on my high heel cake and football helmet on my jaguar cake for example). You don't get any bumps at all.

Great job on this cake!!! Keep 'em coming!

crbarb35 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 6:02am
post #9 of 10

I just posted pics of the newest cake, it is a bonfire cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6617041-.html#6617041

Cherry1313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherry1313 Posted 28 Dec 2012 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 10

Hello, I'm not sure if this will help concidering iv'e never made a cake with treats or fond... but try cutting some of the treats after shaping it... more live a thin shave then cover with fond... might work... good luck....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%