Hating My 9 To 5

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm by AmandaGudi

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 12

Is it just me or is anyone else that decorates cakes on the side getting sick of their 9 to 5 job? I do this on the side & I'm finding lately that with all the orders I'm getting my real job is getting in the way. I'd rather bake full time instead of. I know I have to work but this is starting to frustrate me big time. Anyone else feeling the same please chime in.

11 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 12

before I retired I felt the same way lol

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 12

I am right there with you sister! thumbs_up.gif I have worked here for 8 1/2 years and haven't really liked much of it since I've been here. I think my hatred of this job is what pushed me to open my part-time cake business that opened 2 months ago. I just wish that business would pick up enough that I could at least go part-time at my dayjob and cakes be the fulltime job. icon_cry.gif It seems that since I opened, my business has dropped off. I think it's just that time of year but it depresses me greatly. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Prill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prill Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 12

Definitely. I have started loathing my 9 to 5. I wish I could bake full time too. I'd have some control over my life.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 12

I definately would love to do this fulltime. But not that experienced and finances are very very tight.

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 12

I am with all of you! I've been decorating for years and recently the last couple years started selling my confections. Business has picked up so much for me that I am finding it increasingly difficult. I've got my 8-5 which is more like 6:30 - 6:30 (very looooong commute) plus my two little girls (1 1/2 & 6) and my honey that require a lot of attention. Generally the moment I get home I'm in the kitchen with dinner on the stove and something baking in the oven. It's very difficult trying to do both jobs at the same time. I usually get between 2-4 hours a night of sleep and have pulled a couple 48 hour shifts with no sleep to get cakes done in time.

My job (as a database engineer) has recently become redundant and boring and I find myself spending more time daydreaming my next cake designs rather than working. Dare I confess I am at work right now icon_rolleyes.gif.....

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 12

I'm with you! Where do I sign up??

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone for your input & I also want to add that this place is getting in the way of my CC time. Just thougth I add that. icon_biggrin.gif On a serious note though if not for the need to have good healthcare I'd really make the move & jump into caking full time & leave the outccme up god & my skills.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 12

I have more sketches of cakes in my notebook than meeting notes!

chrstmaskd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrstmaskd Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 12

ah i too dare to dream that one day i will be able to leave the 9-5 steady paycheck for the life of cake. someday.

nanamama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanamama Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 9:42pm
post #11 of 12

I'm right there with you gals! 53 yr. and I've got too many hobbies (cake decorating, sewing, quilting, horses) to have time to hold down a job! like DakotaDesigns, I'm at work now too. Haven't gotten to the point of being a professional. all my cakes to this point have been family, but I'm proud to say I have my first commissioned cake this week - a baby shower! Baked last night, make frosting tonight, begin decorating tomorrow night and deliver Friday night - for a Sat. morning party. Maybe one day I won't be so dependant on this paycheck - - LOL ! icon_lol.gif

AmandaGudi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaGudi Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 12

Well if it makes you feel any better I work full time, go to school full time, and THEN have to find the time to do this too icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%