Make Fondant Leaves Stick To My Fondant Cake

Decorating By hedwards41302 Updated 5 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm by hedwards41302

hedwards41302 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 11

I have my first wedding cake this weekend. She is wanting a 3 tier square cake w/ fondant leaves cascading down the side. Any tips on how to get the leaves to stick? How to arrange them so it looks pretty?

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 11

You can stick them on with a little tylose mixed with water. If you dry the leaves in different shapes before putting them on the cake, it will look more realistic. I use those Easter egg trays to dry leaves but you could also use muffin tins...just dust with cornstarch first, put some in the muffin cups and turn another pan over and dry some on the backs of the cups so you'll have a real variety of shapes.

pianocat Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 11

Or you can add gumpaste to water, and let it sit till it 'melts'. This takes a while.

icer101 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 11

hi, i was taught to dry gumpaste or fondant leaves over cumpled up foil... i have used this method for my years of decorating... also tails of bows, etc... whether on wires of off wires..hth .. cut them out ..vein them some.. lay over humps and bumps of the foil.. yes, make you some glue of tylose and water.. or pinches of g/p or fondant with little water over it and nuke in micro few times. let melt into glue.. stronger than just water..

Win Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Or you can add gumpaste to water, and let it sit till it 'melts'. This takes a while.

Just add it to warm water and this helps the process go much more quickly. I actually do it in the microwave and have glue in just a matter of minutes. Not everyone has Tylose lying around, so this is an ideal solution.

I'd start with my larger leaves and allow them to cascade into smaller leaves. There are some awesome pics out here in the galleries for examples. Here are a couple I love:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1504381

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1283719

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 11

I like my gum glue thick, so I use 1 part gumpaste (whatever gumpaste I used to make the flowers, leaves, or whatever) to 2 parts water. Put it in a microwaveable dish and nuke it for about 30 seconds.

I store it in an old petal dust container.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

I did one not too long ago. Use gumglue, and you may have to "prop" them up until they are dry enough to hold. Don't make them too thick, they don't look nice if they are thick! I also started from the bottom and worked up - that helps too, the bottom ones help hold the higher ones on better.

Here is the one I did:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500879

Win Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 11

I loved that when it came through and looked for it when I was adding the other pics!

jjkarm Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 11

I just did a cake like this (in my photos). I used buttercream to attach the leaves to the cake. The leaves were curled in different shapes, so they didn't always touch the cake where I wanted to attach them. The buttercream helped fill in the areas where there were small spaces between the leaves and the cake. Plus this helped to give more of a 3D effect instead of just having all the leaves lie flat against the cake. HTH thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I did one not too long ago. Use gumglue, and you may have to "prop" them up until they are dry enough to hold. Don't make them too thick, they don't look nice if they are thick! I also started from the bottom and worked up - that helps too, the bottom ones help hold the higher ones on better.

Here is the one I did:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500879

Loucinda's right. On the cake I did last weekend (see my gallery, it's the first cake on top), I had to attach loose petals around the cake. On the vertically challenged petals, I held each one in place for about 10 seconds, until the petal stayed in place.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

hedwards41302 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you to you all for the advice! All your cakes w/ the leaves were great! I will take it all in and hope it works out for me!! You guys are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%